Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:27 PM

348 posts, read 327,336 times

Advertisements

Again, more paranoia thrown out by the Government and EPA. I wouldn't worry about it that much. I remember a house this summer that I had to go do some work at. The city yellow taped the place off like it was a crime scene no less than a nuclear BOMB had detonated inside it. You would have thought someone had been murdered inside by the looks of the place. I made a phone call.....turns out some lead paint had been used in the basement many many years ago. I unlocked the door and went in.....didn't care. I'm still here and fine. You people are NUTS....no other way to describe it.

((((OMG LEAD)))) Sheesh.....are you kidding me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjjzh1JGiU

Wear a good respirator if it makes you feel any better and don't eat any of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
We are currently in the process of purchasing a beautiful home built in 1925. The inspector reported that the walls do not appear to have lead on them due to being a matte finish. Does this sound accurate? He reported places throughout the home that DO appear to have LBP (ie. exterior windows and some wood trim that appears to be chipping). Overall, it just shocked me because I have been reading up on this and throughout that LBP was mostly always in plaster, no matter what the finish; glossy or matte.

Wood trim was never painted, original with only a seal. Should we worry?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona84 View Post
We are currently in the process of purchasing a beautiful home built in 1925. The inspector reported that the walls do not appear to have lead on them due to being a matte finish. Does this sound accurate? He reported places throughout the home that DO appear to have LBP (ie. exterior windows and some wood trim that appears to be chipping). Overall, it just shocked me because I have been reading up on this and throughout that LBP was mostly always in plaster, no matter what the finish; glossy or matte.

I'd guess that the top layer of paint on the walls is not LBP, but I don't think the inspector can say with any certainty that all of the previous layers are lead free, unless the wall is a newer addition. But, unless you plan on tearing the wall out, you don't really have to worry about it, anyway.

As for lead paint on the exterior, if you hire a professional painter, I believe that current laws require that they take precautions to address and dispose of the paint properly. If you do it yourself, you aren't required to wear any special equipment, because your exposure would be a lot less than that of a professional painter.

Lastly, your original wood trim was probably sealed with shellac, which is also used as food glaze. (e.g. m&ms and Reese's Pieces)

Old 06-12-2015, 07:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona84 View Post

DO not eat your walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House