Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times

Advertisements

Curtains here are a must they do a double duty, firstly they give us some privacy and secondly they keep the winter chills out. Its surprising how much difference a pair of heavy lined curtains can make to the temperature in a room plus they make it look cozy. My kitchen chicken curtains are mostly for looks but do help cool it down when the sun is beaming through on a 90+ degree day (thankfully we don't have too many of those).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
I have a lined set of curtains I only hang in the winter to help keep cold out. In the spring I take them down so I can get as much light in as possible, see outside and enjoy the view. I could care less if people want to look inside as they pass by, I'm not even near the wealthiest house on the block so not overly concerned about anyone scoping it out. Its also good to live in a low crime area. It seems for some people its really important to them that people not "see" them in their house...for others, like me, we could care less.

Last edited by atrixwolfe; 08-15-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
In the daytime the windows are reflective enough for me but at night with the lights on I can't bear the feeling of being watched. From inside you cant see anything outside either so its just discomforting. I would never go without curtains.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I enjoy walking through model home fairs to get fresh ideas. One trend I have noticed is that none of the model homes have curtains now, where just a few years ago they featured curtains or blinds on every window, or extensive window treatments.

If you have beautiful windows it does seem a shame to hang curtains or even blinds. Even if you keep them open most of the time it still detracts from the appearance of the windows.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I enjoy walking through model home fairs to get fresh ideas. One trend I have noticed is that none of the model homes have curtains now, where just a few years ago they featured curtains or blinds on every window, or extensive window treatments.

If you have beautiful windows it does seem a shame to hang curtains or even blinds. Even if you keep them open most of the time it still detracts from the appearance of the windows.
I am not one to follow trends.....I like what I like......not what I am told I am supposed to like if I want to "fit in".

I do not like the sterile, cold, institutional/commercial decorating trends popular nowadays.

Bare windows, stainless steel appliances, geometric shapes, glass and chrome, lifeless colors.

I like a warm, comfy, cozy atmosphere in my home.

I don't want my home to look and feel like a hospital or an office.

JMO

Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I hate curtains..like rags on the window.
have blinds that are fully open during the day, at night, especially winter they are closed

Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

This is a function of budget. The people who decorate model homes have lower budgets than they used to have (in fact, there are fewer model homes than there used to be as home building as been down for several years). Also, builders want customers to see the attractive windows they are using — why cover them up. And although styles change (who ever saw panel blinds on patio doors even a few years ago?), many people still choose to cover their window at night if not during the day. In my area (Southwest) blinds of all types are more popular than drapes or curtains. Plantation shutters are very popular for people who can afford them. Home owners use window treatments here for energy savings as much as privacy.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Our 2 biggest windowed rooms, family room and living room have drapes to the sides but they are just decor. I do
have closing drapes on our patio door, the other windows just have blinds.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I hate curtains..like rags on the window.
have blinds that are fully open during the day, at night, especially winter they are closed
blinds only go up to a certain size - then you'd have to customize and still not always possible. Curtains a lot easier - if you do lighter ones they can accentuate nicely. I mean what would you do with floor to ceiling windows that run across a living room: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hUw_VQ5l9r0/TL...826a2d_o13.jpg

Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
I love all my windows free from curtains. Natural light makes me happy. However, my husband is paranoid and want's everything closed up at all times. We live in the middle of nowhere so I don't know why.

Years ago when we lived in town we had a neighbor across the street who had a huge front window. Her recliner sat right in front of it. My husband got an eyeful one morning on his way to work when she was completely naked and she was not an attractive woman. Oh hum!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House