Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Not anymore, new laws are being implemented preventing it. Here is an example story from one of the cities that has changed it to protect ppty owners.
Minnesota cities adjust to losing the hammer of eminent domain | Star Tribune

And in already developed residential areas they're not going to use eminent domain in the middle of a housing area. That's plain ridiculous. And to OP's situation there will be no eminent domain used to let people trespass and use their driveway. C'mon get real.
I understand your points. All I have been trying to say is that there is no law prohibiting people from turning around at the entrance of one's driveway.

My mentioning of the eminent domain was in relation to my saying that nowadays we don't own not even our property.

That said, while the communities you posted have passed laws agains eminent domain, it's not all as clear as we would like it to be:
http://www.cluegroup.com/Downloads/W..._downtowns.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, there is no law prohibiting anybody from entering your garage if the door is wide open. There all kinds or reasons why a person may step into your garage if the door is wide open. For example, your neighbor may see the door wide open, and not knowing that you are home may decide to close the door for you. In this case there is a tort that you can use in court (to suit your neighbor), but do you really want to press charges against your neighbor if his intent was to close your garage door for you? In fact, dogs, and even kids may step right into your home if you leave the front door wide open. If a kid steps into your garage and kills or injures himself, you still have to get lawyers involved.

Haven't you heard cases where drunk neighbors open unlocked front doors by mistake and go to sleep on the home owner's sofa? Now, that would clearly be a case of trespass, specially if you called the police on your neighbor.
RayinAK, I suggest that you go back through the thread and click on the link to the Ninth District Court of Appeals case that I linked to. Wide open doors do NOT constitute permission to enter.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A lot of people don't even realize that even their property they don't own. Well, perhaps one has paid the property in full to the banks, but fail to pay property tax and eventually the city or borough will foreclose your property.

It's pretty sad, but true.
this is so ture. On my block our lawn extends to the sidewalk, but the building next door's lawn only comes out half of what we havem resulting in a extra wide sidewalk, my LL said his lawn is on his property, where as our is on our property up to that point and the rest belongs to the city. Same with the building across the street, while the houses are like ours....wonder why the block is all different like that.

the shame of it is, it is the ciotys property but you have to take care of it...

I dont though see the big deal of this driveway thing, it is concrete or ashphalt, it is hardly going to get broken....

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
this is so ture. On my block our lawn extends to the sidewalk, but the building next door's lawn only comes out half of what we havem resulting in a extra wide sidewalk, my LL said his lawn is on his property, where as our is on our property up to that point and the rest belongs to the city. Same with the building across the street, while the houses are like ours....wonder why the block is all different like that.

the shame of it is, it is the ciotys property but you have to take care of it...*

I dont though see the big deal of this driveway thing, it is concrete or ashphalt, it is hardly going to get broken**....
*LOL, isn't it nice of the City to let you maintain their property.

**One of our neighbors, on a corner lot, has people driving up onto their concrete driveway on a regular basis, mostly because they are lost and need to turn around. His concrete driveway is broken and cracked up severely and has been for years. He said he's not going to replace it soon since the same will happen to the new concrete.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
*LOL, isn't it nice of the City to let you maintain their property.

**One of our neighbors, on a corner lot, has people driving up onto their concrete driveway on a regular basis, mostly because they are lost and need to turn around. His concrete driveway is broken and cracked up severely and has been for years. He said he's not going to replace it soon since the same will happen to the new concrete.

Maybe it was a bad grade of concrete and had no re-bar under it, perhaps.

But I do get his logic.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM

85 posts, read 259,327 times
Use a sprinkler system. Just point it at the driveway and set it for the times when it's needed.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
This probably wouldn't help the OP, but I really hate it when people pull into my driveway to turn around at night. It gets my dogs wound up and it is completely unnecessary considering the size of my block. My solution was Thor.

Amazon.com: Cyclops C18MIL Thor X Colossus 18 Million Candle Power Rechargable Halogen Spotlight: Home Improvement

Thor is an 18 million candlepower spotlight that will turn midnight into noon for anyone it hits. Thor sits on the sill of my bedroom window, aimed at my driveway. When I hear a car, Thor lights them up. I have been on the receiving end of the beam before and it is not pleasant. So far, I have never seen the same car try to use my driveway twice.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
People really are bothers by this?????
How would you feel about people walking on your lawn, just to take a shortcut? There is no difference.

A driveway is your property and not there for the convenience of the uninvited. Do you then say your boundaries stop and start at the front door, the fence? What about the cars that have oil leaks, muddy tires and so on?

When people get used to something, they tend to think of it as a right sooner or later. It's one thing for someone to go into a driveway because they made a wrong turn and need to turn around on a narrow street or a dead end, quite another when it becomes so common that your driveway is nothing more than an extension of the roadway for public use.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How would you feel about people walking on your lawn, just to take a shortcut? There is no difference.
Go ahead, it's just grass. I let/have kids from all over the neighborhood use my lawn as a shortcut to get to the school every single day. Every Teacher that lives within walking distance to the school in town crosses my lawn as well. During the winter I even snowblow a path for them. There is a difference as well between using the very end of a paved driveway and the length or breadth of a grass lawn. neither of which is worth getting your knickers in knots over.

Quote:
A driveway is your property and not there for the convenience of the uninvited. Do you then say your boundaries stop and start at the front door, the fence? What about the cars that have oil leaks, muddy tires and so on?
Oil leaks? Seriously? Just how bad f a leak would a car have to have to leave a spot or line on my driveway with a quick turn around? If it is bad enough to do that, they have bigger issues than leaving a spot on a chunk of pavement I couldn't care less about. Muddy tires? Again, totally ridiculous. If you live on a dirt road a car or truck may have some mud on their tires, if you live in town or on a paved road, there is going to be very little if any at all. Plus tha last time I checked mud is just wet dirt and will either hose right off, or be washed off with the next rain. Either way, no big deal.

Quote:
When people get used to something, they tend to think of it as a right sooner or later. It's one thing for someone to go into a driveway because they made a wrong turn and need to turn around on a narrow street or a dead end, quite another when it becomes so common that your driveway is nothing more than an extension of the roadway for public use.
Good God people, it is a driveway, not your living room. If you can get into and out of your driveway any time you want to and not have to ask people to move their vehicles then it isn't worth 16 pages and 150+ posts to debate what an evil it is.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
I agree with the post above. I don't mind when kids are regularly running around in my front yard or back yard. Same way I don't mind if someone uses my driveway to turn around. It can be annoying so if you get annoyed with this you should have a sign or something that discourages people. However, saying that I spent such and such money on my driveway and it broke because people were turning around is pure BS. There must have been other reasons why it broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House