Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
My sister house is at the corner of the intersection, therefore there's a lot of people make u-turn on her driveway.

She said some women in the area when they drop their kids for school bus everyday, they always back their car on her driveway, some other strangers pull the whole car in to the driveway like it's their house then back out.

What will you do when you're in this situation?
A driveway = "implied consent" to enter. It's perfectly legal to use a driveway to turn around unless it is posted with a legal size sign prohibiting using it for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I have seen people put large planters in their driveway to prevent this from happening. They put the large half-barrel planters on plant stands with little rollers so they are easy to move when you want to move them.

You could also rig up two poles on either side of the driveway and extend a large chain with a sign to block access.

On the one hand, it's not hurting anyone; but on the other hand, I can see how it would be annoying.

Also - if someone were using your driveway to make a u-turn and someone got hurt... say the driver thought the child had walked off to the bus but hadn't, and the driver backs up and accidentally hits the child... who is liable? Because it happens on someone's private property - would the homeowner be affected at all?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A driveway = "implied consent" to enter. It's perfectly legal to use a driveway to turn around unless it is posted with a legal size sign prohibiting using it for that purpose.

Note to self: get a sign to put at the edge of my driveway. We live in an area with very light traffic but I don't like people to turn around in my driveway.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I think my problem that day was that I had a friend following me and by the time we were already around the horseshoe it would have been way to much work/trouble to get both of us to backup. I would have appreciated a sign at the beginning saying "no U-turns" or something to that affect that would have warned me about the barrels at the end. It was a quick oh look a horseshoe drive, perfect. Then I just made the decision to keep going around.

Also it was not as if we blasted through it at 30, I was creeping around respectfully.

However there is some ownership on the homeowner in these circumstances, but for me I have no issue with people using the driveway for turn arounds. They did it all the time at my last house.
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

If by "some ownership on the homeowner" you mean the homeowner owns their driveway absolutely and it's private property, not a public roadway, then you are correct except that it is not "some" ownership, it's complete ownership.

If you mean that they are partially responsible for your behavior, no, they are not - you, yourself, and you are solely responsible for your choice to trespass on their property.

Your decision to make a rude gesture does not make you in any way at all not entirely the one at fault in this scenario, however you might feel about your own driveway.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
U-turns, by definition, do not involve backing up in the first place.

So, if there is backing up going on, a "No U-Turns" sign might be ineffectual.

Probably the OP means 'three point turns' but the real message is 'private drive'...

I agree if there is backing up going on in proximity to a bus stop, you have a safety issue.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Also - if someone were using your driveway to make a u-turn and someone got hurt... say the driver thought the child had walked off to the bus but hadn't, and the driver backs up and accidentally hits the child... who is liable? Because it happens on someone's private property - would the homeowner be affected at all?
The interesting predicament is that you are more liable if you start posting signs because that's proof you knew there was a risk of someone getting hurt on your property.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Toll gate.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
If it were me I'd just put a cone there for a few days and see how much it curbs them from doing it - at least they know you don't like it. If that doesn't work then do the sign.

I can definitely agree with her side though. Wear and tear, especially on concrete & blacktop. The aprons crack all the time too... why let people accelerate the process?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I don’t have an orange cone but I do have a sawhorse that I’d place in the driveway with a NO U TURN sign printed on a piece of cardboard. It would get their attention quickly that you don’t like the idea of their using it for a U-Turn and most drivers are courteous enough to obey the sign and never try it again. It might take several days to get their attention but it’s a possible solution without harming anyone or anything. Most people would get the point and avoid using it to turn around.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Using this logic, the existence of a front door = "implied consent" to enter my house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House