Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Good luck!

Unfortunately, some of the suggestions will be an annoyance. I would hate to get out and move orange cones every time I went somewhere, for example.
Sounds like the orange cones would only be necessary twice a day during school pick up and drop off times and could be eliminated the rest of the time.

The simplest solution would be to park at the end of the drive for a while, leaving no room for pulling in, until they get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Good luck!

Unfortunately, some of the suggestions will be an annoyance. I would hate to get out and move orange cones every time I went somewhere, for example.
Same here, and besides that, I think it seems a little bit unfriendly /unkind ... to do so, but out there, a lot of careless people so maybe we need to protect ourselves first

Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why are people dropping off kids at a school bus stop at all?
Because people are damn too lazy!! In my small neighborhood I see many cars in the morning and I know some of them who live like 2-5 mins of walking I mean they live right there Then they park cars next to stop sign as they consider road part of their community and it's total mess in the morning.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Barring some isolated situations, if you can't make a K-turn without going well past the driveway opening, you shouldn't be making the K-turn.

Regarding people driving their kids to bus stops, I know some people who do it on their way to work, so they can do it all in one trip.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Because people are damn too lazy!! In my small neighborhood I see many cars in the morning and I know some of them who live like 2-5 mins of walking I mean they live right there Then they park cars next to stop sign as they consider road part of their community and it's total mess in the morning.
I had somebody that lives about 1000' from me using my driveway as her personal parking space while she drove her kid to wait for the bus in the am, and waited to pick her up in the pm. People are just unfrickinbelievable.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I can understand her annoyance.

On the other hand, I regularly drive by a driveway that has one of those "no turnaround" signs and I can't tell you how hard it is to fight the urge to pull in and turn around just because the guy put the sign up.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A driveway = "implied consent" to enter. It's perfectly legal to use a driveway to turn around unless it is posted with a legal size sign prohibiting using it for that purpose.
This is entirely untrue. our driveway is part of our property line, and we maintain it and pay taxes on it. It is certainly NOT legal for someone to turn around in. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I can understand her annoyance.

On the other hand, I regularly drive by a driveway that has one of those "no turnaround" signs and I can't tell you how hard it is to fight the urge to pull in and turn around just because the guy put the sign up.
Why would you want to do that? It's not your driveway.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
^^^ I agree, why would anyone "want" to do that?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Wow, your sense of entitlement is astounding. You missed your turn and feel its completely acceptable to use another person's property to drive through and then have the nerve to get annoyed by the obstacles?
Generally, those who have little or no property do not respect the property of others.

We lived at a 'T' shaped dead end and had the same problem, except that they could back up in the street that forms the 'T'. You cannot imagine how many inconsiderate people there are who would rather use our driveway to U-turn in rather than the street that leads right into the driveway.

People have cars that leak oil. I don't want to clean that from my driveway.

These are usually just tenants or first time home owners. They're just clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House