Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Really? I have a top loader LG HE washer and love it. Everything comes out great, with minimal detergent used (we don't even separate whites from colors, because we generally have few whites, other than men's socks).

I even started washing my own button-down work shirts again (as opposed to laundering), because it's good.

I have an LG top loader HE washer and I also LOVE it. I have three boys (actually 4 when you include my husband) so I am washing constantly. I can fit so much in there and it gets really clean. It actually spins so well that we can dry a large load in our regular dryer. We haven't replaced our dryer yet because it still works but will definitely go with an LG dryer as well. It is very easy to use and figure out. I can wash a King Size comforter without a problem. On top of that, our water company sent us a rebate of $100 for buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I have had my Whirlpool Cabrio top load washer for a few years now and I love it! I only use HE detergent. (I've heard that the warranty is void is you use regular detergent.) Very happy with this machine.
We've had our Whirlpool Cabrio top loader for 6 years now and are also very happy with it.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 5,606 times
Thumbs down that isnt dirt, that's lint

I have had a Whirlpool HE-style washer for several years, and am growing increasingly unhappy about it. I know many people have said their clothes come out dirtier than when they went in, but after two hours of brushing my black and dark colors after a wash and air dry on the clothesline, I realize that what they are calling dirt is just lint, picked up from previous washes. The only way I could get the lint out (which embeds itself in the fabric) is to use a stiff bristle brush and have at it.

There is no way to remove the lint from the washer itself. If you run your fingers (carefully) around the top of the tub where it can be moved back and forth, you wil find all the lint and yuk that comes off your clothing up there. YOu can find it but you cant remove it.

I dislike the way the clothes come out so creased and matted against themselves that they need ironing afterward, I dislike the idea that I cannot access the washer while its running without pushing the cancel button. My old washer had an agitator. I could clean out the lint tray. I never ever had a problem with build up, and I could use as much hot water as I liked. Even add some from a bucket, if necessary.

My next washer, trust me, will be the old fashioned kind that 'wastes' water but cleans the clothes the first time. And I simply cannot figure out what that Affresh is for. I clean it now and then with a solution of baking soda and vinegar under the affresh setting and that part works fine. I also leave the lid up between washes. This is one labor saving washer that makes more work than any labor saving device should. sigh.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio HE that I bought in 2009 and I just love it! I can wash several large quilts at the same time or do a small "delicates" load with no problems either. Also, I rarely use hot or even warm water to wash clothes because I have gas hot water, and all my clothes still come out clean and sweet-smelling.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:48 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I have an LG HE and I LOVE it! Seriously. I wash clothes on speed wash and they still come out clean.

Do you routinely clean the tub?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM

its a stainless steel tub. there's nothing there that needs cleaning, I check. what I do find is that in the heavy plastic surround (the outside of the barrel itself) there's a ledge above another ledge, both of them attached to the barrel, and they are lint catchers. They also collect any dirt that gets up that far. You can run your fingers around it (if you 're careful, its a good way to get cut) under the lip of the actual washer top, and feel the gritty ick stuck to the plastic. Its damn near impossible to get off since you cant get any kind of a rag or hand in to reach it easily.
I have no problem with odors, and I always leave the lid up for a day or two after I've used it. We are a two person family and I dont wash daily, no need to.
I do like the huge capacity, and can wash four full sheets and pillow cases as well as a bit more without crowding.

What's amusing in a sad way, I just did the Affresh routine today--all that water that you supposedly save during the month goes toward completely filling the tub of the washer on Affesh day and you use more in that one 'cleaning' than you probably save the month previous. and it does nothing to address the problem of the lint and ick on the lip above the tub itself.

I call it poorly designed, frankly.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:31 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I bought an LG HE machine last summer, and it's the best washer I've ever had in my life. When I first got it, it removed stains that had been there for years with my old 2002 GE conventional top loading washer. I don't see any dirt (or lint) on my clothes. Sometimes I still get stains to work on, but nowhere near as many as with my old washer.

However, bear in mind that we have a lot of water here in New Orleans, so water is cheap. I almost never exceed the minimum charge for water, which is a few cents over $2/month. Because of that, I really haven't paid attention to how much water it does or doesn't use. I didn't buy it to conserve water, but to get my clothes clean and to be able to handle king sized comforters. It does both.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio HE that I bought in 2009 and I just love it! I can wash several large quilts at the same time or do a small "delicates" load with no problems either. Also, I rarely use hot or even warm water to wash clothes because I have gas hot water, and all my clothes still come out clean and sweet-smelling.
We have that set as well (we bought ours in 2013 I think) and I love it as well. It seems like it might hold a small Airstream RV, it's so big inside! But like you say, it also washes small, delicate loads very well too.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:16 PM

it does indeed take huge loads, and they do get clean. However,I just figured out why the clothes are so covered with lint. There simply isnt enough water in the tub itself to float and then spin the lint out of the way of the clothes. In a conventional washer the water covers the clothes, and they also often have a lint trap. It never gets back on the clothing. In this machine the lint never gets washed away.
I think its that simple.

There is no way you can add more water to the wash cycle, cold OR hot. I think what I dislike is the lack of user input in the entire business. My next washer is going to be a conventional one, I dont need to save water or conserve fuel...it was an experiment and this time it didnt work. Im glad yours does.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Love my Maytag with the glass door on top. It has removed much stress from doing a load of clothes because the water is automatic. I wanted a front load type but our home is more than 40 years old and the space for the washer is not big enough. I always use a second rinse and with the amount of water used I am always surprised the clothes get clean. I wash about every two days, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday so smells have not been a problem that I have noticed. I usually use the deep water wash cycle or the power wash. I have done a couple of hand wash cycle loads for one item sweaters.

We are retired and I have to wash my swim suit every other day and I used to have to estimate what level water to use with the old washer that started leaking after about 5 or 6 years use. I always choose the most dirty cycle, warm water except for towels and put the clothes in choose the wash cycle and push a button and later take out the clean clothes. After watching the first load through the glass door, I wondered how this was going to work, but I like it better every time I use it. I think less water gets the clothes cleaner.

Last edited by NCN; 06-17-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House