Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,091 times

Advertisements

I have a Maytag side by side refrigerator with water and ice through the door. The water filter I buy is suppose to last 6 months but never seems to do so. The last 2 filters I've had only lasted 4 months. I usually change the filter when my ice maker slows down making ice. After changing the filter, the ice maker really churns out the ice so it's got to be related to the filter. (the water still tastes fine)

Does anyone else have this problem? Does your filter last 6 months? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I should have changed mine 2 years ago ...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Mine finally died after three years of use.
We have really good municipal water where I live. There is not much to filter out.

I noticed zero difference with the ice maker.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I have a 15 year old Kenmore side by side w/ice & water in the door. I use a GAC inline water filter which also recommends replacement every 6 months. For 10+ years, I bought the same Kenmore filter until it was discountinued last year. In April I replaced my filter with this GE one I bought at Home Depot. By August, my water started smelling like sulfur, but my ice did not. I replaced the GE filter with this Whirlpool filter--which most closely resembled the Kenmore model I had used for years. Well, 6 days later, the smell is back. Need to call fridge repairman to come troubleshoot the issue.

Never had a problem with ice production or smell or taste--just this water smell. I have city water and my tap water tastes & smells fine.

How old is your fridge? What type of filter are you using? Is the filter in the fridge or elsewhere in the water supply line?

Your frequency for filter changes might be due to other factors. Any help here?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
The repair guy I had out to service my old refrigerator told me that the "replace filter" light is triggered by the number of time water/ice is dispensed, not the quantity. And, they like selling filters...

I don't know how accurate that is, but it kinda makes sense. What I do is reset the light once without replacing the filter and then replace the filter the next time the light turns red.

I tried resetting it a second time but what apparently happens with the refrigerator I have (Whirlpool Gold) when the filter is clogged it causes a water leak on the floor. About a week after that second reset I noticed a puddle. I couldn't tell where it was coming from and cleaned it up. Had another puddle the next morning. This went on for about a week. I replaced the filter and it hasn't leaked since.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The repair guy I had out to service my old refrigerator told me that the "replace filter" light is triggered by the number of time water/ice is dispensed, not the quantity.
Many are just triggered on a schedule... as long as the unit stays plugged in it just lights up every so many hours.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,091 times
My light isn't on to change the filter. It's just that my ice maker is making less ice and when this happens and I change the filter, the ice maker starts churning out the ice like it should. This make the 2nd time it has done that so I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. The filter is suppose to last 6 months but it seems I only get 4 months out of it before the ice maker slows down.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:08 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
FYI, if you have a reverse osmosis system, using the internal fridge filter is not recommended, since it can cause too much flow restriction from the already filtered water.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
I've always wondered if it was based on time or gallons or number of uses. It seems to be good for just about 6 months. I just changed it over the weekend. This time I bought it online, same brand, not just a compatible one, and it was much cheaper than at the local store. Those things are definitely overpriced, imo.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Not long enough

If you do plan to replace them, then buy in bulk.
For example,
Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter-W10295370A at The Home Depot
is $40 for one
PUR Refrigerator Water Filter - 3 Pack-W10193691T at The Home Depot
is $33 each in the 3-pack
Even less via Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House