Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

A lot of good ideas. I really would like to do the move everything out of a room then only put back in, but if I am moving relatively soon, I guess that would be too much wasted time. I am using rooms as multiple rooms because of the lack of space and options, I think that is what drives me crazy, it looks cluttered because it is multi-use. I'm also feeling cluttered with dvds, vhs, cds, books, paperwork, wires, etc. How do you make a computer area look nice? It looks so utilitarian not homey. And grouping items sounds like a good idea, but a lot of work. For instance I have way too many kitchen items, but how do I choose what stays and goes? I always think, maybe one day I'll need this. I've had throw away regrets before, and re buys, so I don't want that, but I also just can't stand how much stuff magically appeared one day. You don't realize you are over abundance. Also, any tips for food? I have like so many baking sprinkles for cookies, different tea bags, jars of pasta, I'd rather cook less variety so I don't have to store white flour, corn flour, baking flour, white corn flour, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Yes I know how you feel, been there and still there.. Last week I just went crazy and re-arranged my office (I work from home) and the tangle of wires, cables and stuff.. I disconnected everything and then wrapped them with wires and to shorten them. I have a bag full of phone wires, network wires, TV cables and the likes. The desk was very nice and clear when I as done (you don't want to see it now). I moved the bookshelves around and re-arranged the books.. found stuff that I forgot about and ready to dump.. stuff that is already in the recycle container and some stuff now in the car to go to Goodwill.

Since you are moving soon, have you thought of starting to pack what you are not using in boxes and hide them some place? make sure to mark the boxes so when it's time to unpack you know where to find things. If after a while you find that you don't need these items, just have a huge garage sale.. or post them on craigslist..

The packaged food can go to a Food Bank, you could also give some of the items to your family and friends, I am sure they will be happy to save some money.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Once you get it the way you want it, don't buy anything new without immediately throwing something old out. That way you'll never accumulate more stuff.

I'd love to get my house so it feels like a vacation rental---no stuff except for the basic furniture and clothes that I'd pack in a suitcase. It's a pipedream, I know, but it's good to have goals.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I have done this. At one point I even threw things out the window I was so tired of clutter.

We moved to a house and i love that it isnt cluttered. I just simply turned on some music and went through a box at a time. (without my hubby home because he wants to keep things i dont). I need to go through the garage here because we brought things we didnt need to. IE: That old Sega CD that doesnt have the cables for, it can be sold right down the road....why keep it?!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We got rid of a lot of stuff when our local temple had a rummage sale. We also got rid of a lot of stuff when we got another bed that was a different size than the old one. So, that cleaned out the linen closet. Well, sort of. Nine pillowcases full of sheets and linens we didn't want anymore went to the folks who lost everything in the hurricane we had last month and there's still too much stuff in the closet.

We take a lot of stuff to a consignment shop. Or list it on Craig's List. Or give it to a group having a rummage sale. Or have a garage sale of our own although that has a tendency to only get rid of the good stuff.

Last time, we bought a new house, took the good stuff with us and then left everything else and rented the house as furnished. I think we are going to do the same thing again.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
I actually threw some stuff out the back door, then went and shoved it in a trash can, faster than bagging it all.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:08 PM

When we cleaned out our attic, we threw it all out the window to the yard three stories below. It saved time not having to carry it all multiple trips down two flights of steps. It also prevented me from changing my mind since half the stuff we destroyed from the fall.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Isn't sad to see all this "money" go to trash?? I don't throw away anything that is still working or usable, I give it away or sell it. If you pack these things and put it at your door then post it on FreeCycle https://www.freecycle.org. People pick anything you don't want.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Not all places have freecycle. My area does not.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Isn't sad to see all this "money" go to trash?? I don't throw away anything that is still working or usable, I give it away or sell it. If you pack these things and put it at your door then post it on FreeCycle https://www.freecycle.org. People pick anything you don't want.
Sometimes that's just too much of a hassle. When you need to get rid of junk as quickly as possible, selling or giving away stuff is very counterproductive to the goal of a true purge. If it makes you feel better, the junkman makes money from our metal. He makes his rounds every garbage night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House