Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
People have different temperatures they find comfortable. It doesn't mean someone is unreasonable, ridiculous or wrong, just beause their comfort level is different than yours. The key is discussing it and working out an agreeable compromise.

As I said upthread, we keep our house at 70 (and have ceiling fans on in any occupied rooms). Unless we have company, I generally walk around in a babydoll nightgown, barefoot, (on cool tile floors), and am completely comfortable. DH usually wears jeans or sweatpants, sox and a long sleeve shirt - sometimes even a flannel one. He doesn't want to feel cold and I don't want to feel clammy or sweaty. It doesn't mean one of us is unreasonable, ridiculous, wrong or borderline passive-aggressive. We simply worked out a solution where we can both be comfortable.
Easy for you to say, while he wears flannel shirts and sweatpants in the summer. Sounds like you are queen and don't care about his comfort level.

Price is a factor. For those that like it frigid, in a roomate situation, you should be willing to pay the extra $40-$50 dollars. That's the least you can do, if you can't be more considerate of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye22 View Post
I wanted to see what a reasonable suggestion to make would be. I also wanted to make sure other people this it was low for this part of the country and not just me. I do not know much about air conditioning. I dont know whats normal
You might want to store this thought in the back of the head - if someone or some business is doing something totally unreasonable, do NOT start out from the idea of being reasonable. It leaves no room for compromise. Oftentimes such stuff is just powerplay anyway. As I said before though, get a different roomie. You aren't married, you don't have a commitment to compromise and adjust, and getting a good education trumps d**king around with such nonsense.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Is she fat? Fat people tend to feel the heat more.

20yrsinBranson
I thought of that too, obese people tend to be hot all the time.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye22 View Post
I wanted to see what a reasonable suggestion to make would be. I also wanted to make sure other people this it was low for this part of the country and not just me. I do not know much about air conditioning. I dont know whats normal
For starters, you do not have the nicest roomate, she is being unreasonable, selfish and inconsiderate. You should not have to suffer and pay extra for her benefit.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
chip in get an inexpensive dehumidfier and agree to set the thermostat at 73 - something like this:
Frigidaire 70 Pint Dehumidifier FAD704TDB | eBay

Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Is she a Doctor/Nurse?

66 is the target temp for many operating rooms... it helps with infection control and keeps the Docs cool under pressure... especially when they have scrubs, lead aprons, etc...

PS... patients have warm touch heated blankets which they love!
In our hospital that was the setting in the past. But now there are often longer procedures, more gowning to wear, more people and equipment used. For surgeon comfort, the temperatures has been set to 60-64F or even lower.

Some people like those temps at home, however it's going to cost a lot more than the regular 72-74F setting.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
When Chicago gets hot I set the A/C at 78. In winter I set the heat at 68. When I lived in Houston my Italian roomate wouldn't let me set the A/C lower than 80, so I slept shirtless.

65 is freezing! A/C is very expensive when you have a top floor Apt that gets hit with roof sunlight.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
just give her the electric bill then, and say, well you want to live in an igloo, so pay for it yourself.

get a new roommate.

65 degrees means it is time to turn the heat on.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
65 degrees means it is time to turn the heat on.
I drive my husband crazy this time of year. I turn the heat on during the day and the air conditioning on when I go to bed.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Easy for you to say, while he wears flannel shirts and sweatpants in the summer. Sounds like you are queen and don't care about his comfort level.

Price is a factor. For those that like it frigid, in a roomate situation, you should be willing to pay the extra $40-$50 dollars. That's the least you can do, if you can't be more considerate of others.
It's easy for me to say because it's what we both agreed to and it works well for us. It's actually quite simple. We each wear the same garb in our home year-round, regardless of the season. I always knew I was a "winter baby" and we discussed this long before we moved to the hot desert. If I didn't care about his comfort level we wouldn't have discussed it, agreed upon a solution that would work for both of us, and we'd probably have issues like the OP.

I'll admit I'm a queen, but he is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House