Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I won't "clutter up the thread much" except to say that you are doing the commonplace error of coming to a forum and asking a question that requires a detailed examination of the situation without giving enough information to even begin to give a valid response. I'm with KB, if you don't even understand what the situation involves, you are better off with a contractor coming in to evaluate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
actually, the solution was quite simple. there is a positive pressure in the bedroom(when the door is closed) due to carpeting (super thick that allows no air to escape) that can only be relieved by adding an outlet register either 1) connected to the existing outlet in the hallway or 2) connecting it to a fan that outlets VIA the attic vent.

when the door is open (and the room cools down), negative pressure is created.

that did not require a detailed explanation of my existing AC system or duct work. the HVAC tech that was sent out explained all of it in detail, along with what i need to do to get it going. while they charge upwards of 1500$ to do an install like that, i can just buy the parts, cut the hole in the roof, run the duct myself into the return, seal it up and call it a day. not like this is rocket science

Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
the HVAC tech that was sent out explained all of it in detail, along with what i need to do to get it going. while they charge upwards of 1500$ to do an install like that, i can just buy the parts, cut the hole in the roof, run the duct myself into the return, seal it up and call it a day.
You could also just keep the door cracked a bit.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Glad you found a simple solution! It also shows why it can be difficult to answer a question like that simply because we don't have all the information.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post

-edit-

turns out we have a maintenance agreement with the company that installed the new ac. no charge for service call and basic work is discounted 50%. nice!
Then why even try the things you suggested yourself. Cutting holes in the wall and venting to the attic is definitely not a fix to this problem. If you have a service agreement with the company that did the installation, call them. You can ask them for recommendations on how to deal with issues like this. They are familiar with the setup, and besides, that is what you are paying (or did pay) them for.

Scolding people who made logical responses, just because it wasn't the response you wanted, is not going to help anything. Other requests for help may get few responses based on this type of attitude.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 427 times
Default Custom Air Mover

I have a 384 Square Foot Shaved Ice stand with a single Mini Split unit. The A/C is plenty big for the square footage but of course does not circulate the air all the way around the stand. I installed an inline fan and custom duct work in the attic that works as a return air system. It removes hot air that has stratified above the freezer and dumps it into the top of the Mini Split to recirculate and recondition it. It works amazingly well. I hope this helps!

Pics here: [url=http://tinypic.com/a/fkxxd1/3]Air Mover - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House