U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,149,001 times

Advertisements

So you can install a back massager if you ever wanted to... ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,825,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
So you can install a back massager if you ever wanted to... ...
My wife just got back from a trip to Asia - went through Narita Airport (Tokyo) on the route and absolutely fell in love with the toilets in the airport - music, bidet-like stream, probably massager as well. She nows says if we ever need to change our toilets that's what we're gonna get - I've hidden our hammers...

Narita Toilets

Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM

24,839 posts, read 34,185,041 times
Interesting thread....

I have noticed public toilets do not have lids.

Now I wonder about that.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM

9,918 posts, read 22,005,108 times
Well, if the toilet is in its own walled off room (no the one in the middle of the basement doesn't count ) then that eliminates most or all of the possible reasons if you keep the door shut.

My reasons are keeps some of the invisible spray down, keeps stuff from falling in, gives me a place to set things.

I am surprised though that you have NEVER seen it down. The preferences vary widely. I grew up with the lids up at home, but I switched to down once on my own because of the reasons above. And many of the places I visited then and now had lids down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It doesn't matter. I can't find a porcelain one without a lid. I don't even think it's available as a specialty item. I was just wondering why they have lids. We use the lid in our outhouse at our camp to keep the smell down. That's why I realized the lids must be remnants from past era.
You can't find a porcelain one period! What you are most likely referring to is the enameled wood (as opposed to plastic). It's definitely not porcelain; that would break too easily.

If you really want, you should be able to buy a commercial seat with no lid. If you'll pay attention to restrooms in public places, typically these do not have lids. Most commercial seats with no lids will have a front cutout though. These should still come in enameled wood as well as plastic. It is possible to find a heavier solid plastic seat that isn't flimsy; that is what I got last time after the finish wore off too quickly on the wood one I had before.

The lid may have originated in past era as you say, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still have its uses. If I didn't keep the lid down, I can't imagine how many things I might have dropped over the years that would have bounced into the toilet bowl!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM

998 posts, read 1,099,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe I'm using the wrong word (trap). It's a one way thing. Stuff only goes out. Stuff doesn't go in.

It's similar to this type of apparatus, and it was installed in our main sewer line at the house entrance.

MultiFlap for Toilets - Stop Snakes, Rats and Frogs accessing your property

ETA. I just found out what I'm talking about is called a sewer line non return valve.
I have been wanting sewer line non return valve or a check valve like that for years. I have had a couple of sewer back-ups when the street sewer overflowed. The sewer company said they were to expensive for them to instal ($10K) when I sued them for & won a $7k claim & got $5k from my insurance on $15k damage I had. Later the sewer company found a decayed & missing sewer pipe in their main system line 200 ft down the street.

I think they are a good idea. My sewer company said they were maintenance issues, but they were using a sewer pump in their positive flow type back-flow preventers.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM

43,012 posts, read 97,970,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You can't find a porcelain one period! What you are most likely referring to is the enameled wood (as opposed to plastic). It's definitely not porcelain; that would break too easily.
I want whatever is heavy and has a porcelain-like finish. My husband bought a plastic set, and the bottom of the seat isn't finished as well and I can't get the stains out. Women can't see the stains, but I'm embarrassed that men can see the stains when they lift the seat. I just need a better toilet seat than my husband bought initially, and I'd like one like a "real" one instead of a plastic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If you really want, you should be able to buy a commercial seat with no lid. If you'll pay attention to restrooms in public places, typically these do not have lids. Most commercial seats with no lids will have a front cutout though.
I already researched commercial and I'm disappointed they all have the front cut out.

I'm not really committed to having no lid. Recent events in my house made me curious why lids even exist.

It's all Bobbles' fault. You know how it's important for everyone in the household to use the same system? Like men should put the seat down when they are done so women don't fall into the toilet in the dark. Well, the similar risks occur if the lid is down when it's not commonly down.

Enter Bobbles. Her being a new member of the household as disrupted the system. Someone thinks the lid should be down at night for the safety of Bobbles. That very person woke up in the middle of the night, lifted the lid, and pee'd on the seat while sleepwalking. That someone is used to only lifting the seat, and while sleepwalking lifted only the lid. For a moment, imagine how I discovered that happened.

See how it's Bobbles' fault?

Since the entire household needs to agree upon a new system, it occurred to me that I could solve the problem entirely by eliminating options to the current system since I was already planning to buy a new seat.

That's the inspiration for this thread.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-14-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM

43,012 posts, read 97,970,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Interesting thread....
Thank you! I think it's an interesting topic too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I have been wanting sewer line non return valve or a check valve like that for years. I have had a couple of sewer back-ups when the street sewer overflowed. The sewer company said they were to expensive for them to instal ($10K) when I sued them for & won a $7k claim & got $5k from my insurance on $15k damage I had. Later the sewer company found a decayed & missing sewer pipe in their main system line 200 ft down the street.

I think they are a good idea. My sewer company said they were maintenance issues, but they were using a sewer pump in their positive flow type back-flow preventers.
A non return valve is important in areas with inland flooding where the sewer lines and groundwater lines are connected. That issue exists in my region, but the local governments are slowly separating the two lines so groundwater doesn't flow into people's homes during flooding and sewage doesn't mix with groundwater into the streams and rivers. Our house isn't in a neighborhood with that type of sewer problem though.

We had this non return valve installed when our old terracotta sewer line was replaced. I asked the plumber to install it because various neighbors had rats coming into their basement toilets. That never happened to us, but we did battle a rodent infestation in the neighborhood 20 years ago, and we dug up our foundation to close off any entrances into the residence. It just made perfect sense to eliminate the sewer line entrance when it was time to be replaced.

Where I live, owners are responsible for their own sewer lines (and other utility lines) on their property. Local governments are only responsible for utilities at the street property line. A non return valve isn't something the local government would install. It's something homeowners need to install themselves since it's installed at the house. Unless there is already a rodent problem, it would be cost prohibitive to install one if you aren't already repairing or replacing the sewer line.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM

8,610 posts, read 6,790,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
So dogs can't get a drink.

#1 answer!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,149,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
My wife just got back from a trip to Asia - went through Narita Airport (Tokyo) on the route and absolutely fell in love with the toilets in the airport - music, bidet-like stream, probably massager as well. She nows says if we ever need to change our toilets that's what we're gonna get - I've hidden our hammers...

Narita Toilets
I absolutely know what you mean! We spent two weeks in Japan this past April for the Cherry Blossoms, and the Toto Washlets (not Toilets mind you! ) were one of the highlights of our trip. The seat warmer, the iPhone charger, the varying jet levels of the bidet-like stream, etc. made every single second of being on the can worthwhile! My son just couldn't get over the concept of a remote control for a toilet!!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM

8,610 posts, read 6,790,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
- Toilet lids keep things from falling into toilet.
- Provide a seat.
- Something to stand on.
- Keep sewer rats & snakes from escaping into your home.
- Keep dogs from drinking out of it.
- Keep children from playing in it.
- Contains water spray when flushed.
- Provides a back rest.
- Hides messy toilet bowel.
- Contains smell in event of clog or water outage.

You need to go through every thread on every forum and give us the Reader's Digest condensed format!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House