U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM

27,434 posts, read 56,402,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I know a woman who obsesses over this very matter. She is the GF of my best friend who lives in an old house his family has owned for over a century. Back then houses were designed and built more efficiently than today. The bathroom was built near the kitchen because that is where the sewage main was. People didn't run water supply and sewage drains all over back then because it wasn't necessary nor practical. His GF is going on forever how crap particles can be floating around and into everything in the kitchen. Nope, the door is auto closing so that is next to impossible.
We get a kick out of it. Why didn't people die from it a century ago?
Modern building codes in my jurisdiction prohibit a toilet having a door to the kitchen...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 PM

998 posts, read 1,099,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Exactly... I've gone into vacant homes and found large dead rats in toilet bowls...
Yup - If the water dries up in the trap or the bank winterize company clears the water out of the trap, rats, snakes & sewer gas come rolling in. Some winterize companies are smart & put antifreeze in the traps.

A vacant house draws varmints & moisture & goes bad just like a head of cabbage.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We have an outhouse at our camp.
I grew up next to an old timer from the days before indoor plumbing was standard. He refused to put a toilet in his house. He said no one is ever going to crap in his house. He still had & used his outhouse until he died. Then his wife had one installed.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM

55,521 posts, read 43,915,182 times
Quote:
Modern building codes in my jurisdiction prohibit a toilet having a door to the kitchen...
And I wonder why THAT is? Curious minds want to know...could it be that fecal matter floats around in the air upon flushing.

Gak, this is making me sick just thinking about it. All my toilets have lids that STAY DOWN when not in use. I simply won't have it any other way.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,216,190 times
Quote:
Government over-regulation run amok.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM

12,172 posts, read 16,167,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The lid can be quite annoying if it falls while you are taking a drink.
That explains the big knot on the back of my head.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM

30,214 posts, read 36,695,457 times
Quote:
I'm buying a new toilet seat and started wondering why they have lids since most people don't use the lids.

When I sit down on the toilet, I want to have clean hands. I don't want to lift a potential germy lid prior.

Is it just left over from the outhouse days to keep the smell down in the outhouse?

Lids don't seem necessary with modern plumbing.
"Most people don't use the lids"? Huh? The lids on my toilets stay DOWN.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM

Closing the toilet lid quiets the flushing sound. So you don't wake people up at night.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 PM

3,461 posts, read 3,211,136 times
Quote:
I'm buying a new toilet seat and started wondering why they have lids since most people don't use the lids.

When I sit down on the toilet, I want to have clean hands. I don't want to lift a potential germy lid prior.

Is it just left over from the outhouse days to keep the smell down in the outhouse?

Lids don't seem necessary with modern plumbing.
Perhaps this has all been covered (no pun intended).

1) Outhouses do not have lids to control the smell (as they physically can not) - they were to keep people /objects from falling into the pit (same as in modern houses)
2) Aesthetics, do you want to potentially look at skid marks each time you walk into a bathroom? Or have to clean toilet each time you defecate?
[This reminds me of some of the different designs I encountered when traveling in foreign countries: in Poland there was type which had low water level and long drop which feces always hit the front of bowl - nasty visuals who smeared the chocolate bars, my favorite was in Milan Italian, an older building converted to hotel put the flush as a direct line so each flush was custom - by you the operator - to flush as long as needed for the volume - as it was high pressure too!] but I digress-
3) Cover to prevent the undo distribution of particulate matter after said event
4) Seat to sit on, and place to put foot when drying off after shower / bath in a full bath combination
5) Prevent possible critters from getting in the 'backdoor' via sewer or stack
6) Prevent other critters: Pets or even small children (toddler size) from drinking / playing with device meant for defecating
7) To give women fits due to men not putting them down after urinating

Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM

3,048 posts, read 2,323,459 times

....That's true for old plumbing that doesn't have traps to prevent rodents and sewage from getting back into the house. When we replaced our sewer line (100 year old house), we installed a trap at the house. So the lid isn't necessary for our house or houses with newer plumbing.

Don't bet your life on it. When I took off the toilet to remodel the bathroom in my (20 year old) house in So. California, it was a lucky thing I sat a full can of paint on that hob which I first covered with foil. I could hear sewer rats scratching at that thing every once in the while. You have to tape the lid down when you leave for the summer. (Make sure you put wire mesh on the vent stack openings - that's where they get in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House