U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 6,760,423 times

Advertisements

To play jokes on drunk people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 15,283,791 times
I think not putting the seat down is gross. I do not want to look into a toilet bowl, only when I clean it....and I certainly don't want to look into someone elses.

For those with a "toilet room" perhaps the seat being down isn't such an issue. I guess it's habit for me and I prefer keeping mine down.

Don't know if someone posted this or not...
Quote:
Toilets can be overlooked as a drowning hazard in the home. The typical scenario involves a child under 3-years-old falling headfirst into the toilet. CPSC has received reports of 16 children under age 5 who drowned in toilets between 1996 and 1999.
Quote:
Keep the toilet lid down to prevent access to the water and consider using a toilet clip to stop young children from opening the lids. Consider placing a latch on the bathroom door out of reach of young children.
source

Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM

16,353 posts, read 27,166,882 times
Maybe I am the odd one, but I do not find a toilet bowl offensive or sickening. I do not find leaving the seat or lid up offensive, or repulsive either.
It is a toilet, we all have them, we all need them.

Looking into a toilet, is just water....nothing more, nothing less.

I raised 3 boys, our toilet lid and, seat for that matter was always UP, whether we had company or not, (I simply wouldn't have it any other way) I could care less. That doesn't even make the list of importance.

Looking into someone else's toilet is like looking into mine, maybe a different color toilet, but water is water, something I've seen a billion times already, and will see a billion more times.

I just don't find anything so terrible about a toilet.

If I use someone else toilet, I will put thier lid down though, as to be respectful of someone else's home.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 10-15-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,951 times
So when you flush, germs aren't propelled into room.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

302 posts, read 324,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

....That's true for old plumbing that doesn't have traps to prevent rodents and sewage from getting back into the house. When we replaced our sewer line (100 year old house), we installed a trap at the house. So the lid isn't necessary for our house or houses with newer plumbing.

Don't bet your life on it. When I took off the toilet to remodel the bathroom in my (20 year old) house in So. California, it was a lucky thing I sat a full can of paint on that hob which I first covered with foil. I could hear sewer rats scratching at that thing every once in the while. You have to tape the lid down when you leave for the summer. (Make sure you put wire mesh on the vent stack openings - that's where they get in).

How true !!!

I have a friend who's a Plumber that woke up in the middle of the night to use the toilet and when he flushed it , a big RAT was coming up the trap

Just imagine if he had no lid
He had to put a pot filled with water on it until he figured out how to kill it !!!!
I laughed so hard I forgot what he used oh! , bleach I think
Took him forever , trying not to wake up his in-laws , couldn't bust the bowl with a hammer or gun ,

and couldn't call a plumber....soooo funny I almost needed a bathroom when he finished his tale

This was in a big city

After hurricane sandy as a matter of fact , so be glad for the lid , if only to keep down the unexpected

Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM

19,276 posts, read 25,745,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Maybe I am the odd one, but I do not find a toilet bowl offensive or sickening. I do not find leaving the seat or lid up offensive, or repulsive either.

I raised 3 boys, our toilet lid and, seat for that matter was always UP, whether we had company or not, (I simply wouldn't have it any other way) I could care less. That doesn't even make the list of importance.

Looking into someone else's toilet is like looking into mine, maybe a different color toilet, but water is water, something I've seen a billion times already, and will see a billion more times.

If I use someone else toilet, I will put thier lid down though, as to be respectful of someone else's home.
good post...i agree

after using an outhouse, looking at just water in a toilet bowl isnt so bad

Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,423,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bobbles is FASCINATED with the toilet. It's one of her favorite things. When we're using it, she's standing up looking behind where we're sitting. When we flush it, she's intrigued. If she's not in the room, she'll come running from anywhere in the house as soon as she hears it. Even when nobody is in the bathroom, she'll stand up and just stare down in there for eternity. She can just barely peer in there. Since she was feral, she's not afraid of water. She loves everything about water. But I still think the caution is unnecessary because our toilets don't have high water levels. She's too big to drown in there. The worst that can happen is she might end up not as interested in the toilet.

Obsessive complusive cat flushing the toilet !!! Hilarious ! - YouTube

Two of my three dogs like to drink out of the toilet, and I would rather they didn't do that (mainly because they are big sloppy dogs and drip the water everywhere.)
So even though I am not offended by toilets per se, I like having the option to put the lid down.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM

5,951 posts, read 8,949,177 times
So parents have somewhere to sit while their kids take a bath.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,007,321 times
That's what Bobbles looks like peering into the bowl! I sure hope she doesn't learn how to flush it! LOL

Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,216,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Indeed water is water in the commode, but what do you do about the Jackson Pollack originals that invariably are left decorating the above water level portions of the porcelain throne? Or, those pesky floaters, that try as the water pressure vacuum might - don't make it down on the first try - and then dissolve? ROFL

If it was "water in the bowl and nothing more nothing less", you must have cleaned the 'inner throne' quite frequently! [couldn't resist the levity]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House