Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So I can sit down on the seat and talk to my husband while he's taking a bath...or vice versa
That's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The lid can be quite annoying if it falls while you are taking a drink.
That never happened to my Labrador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one closes the lid it prevents any water spraying out when the toilet is being flushed.
Water/mist doesn't spray out of my toilet. It's not very powerful. LOL Even if it did, water could escape through the sides since the lid doesn't seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
None of those apply to my household. My toilet isn't anywhere near toothbrushes, towels, shower curtains, and anything else mentioned. I'm much more concerned with touching a toilet seat lid prior to sitting down on the toilet. If someone puts mine down to flush, they better put it back up afterwards.

It doesn't matter. I can't find a porcelain one without a lid. I don't even think it's available as a specialty item. I was just wondering why they have lids. We use the lid in our outhouse at our camp to keep the smell down. That's why I realized the lids must be remnants from past era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
So dogs can't get a drink.
One of the signs of dog intelligence is if they are smart enough to find water sources aside from their water bowls. I'm not joking. I thought that was funny as hell when I read it a long time ago. It turns out my dogs are very smart (and lazy). My lab always drank out of the toilet. My basset always barks at the bathtub so we'll turn on the water for him to have a drink. I guess they're too lazy to walk downstairs. As for the claim they are being exposed to bacteria, we're talking about animals who lick their butts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
+Today, there have been several of the "most people don't do this or most people don't do that" and each time the op had no way of knowing what most people do in the situation being discussed. They just dream up something to say and post it. Considering the millions of people who have toilet seats how can you possibly know most people don't use the lids? I like the lid to be down.
I've been in many houses throughout my life and I've never seen a lid down. I'm talking all economic and social groups. You might like your lid down, but you are in the minority based on my personal lifetime observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I thought it was to contain sewer snakes and rats.
That's true for old plumbing that doesn't have traps to prevent rodents and sewage from getting back into the house. When we replaced our sewer line (100 year old house), we installed a trap at the house. So the lid isn't necessary for our house or houses with newer plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Nobody wants to stare into that abyss. PUT IT DOWN.
Since I've never had a guest put it down, and I only have one friend who keeps it down, I'm going to say that "nobody" statement is a bit off the mark. Interestingly, my friend who keeps it down in her powder room has a serious mold problem in her bowl because the moisture is trapped in the bowl due to no airflow. That's another reason to not use it!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,210,743 times
- Toilet lids keep things from falling into toilet.
- Provide a seat.
- Something to stand on.
- Keep sewer rats & snakes from escaping into your home.
- Keep dogs from drinking out of it.
- Keep children from playing in it.
- Contains water spray when flushed.
- Provides a back rest.
- Hides messy toilet bowel.
- Contains smell in event of clog or water outage.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm buying a new toilet seat and started wondering why they have lids since most people don't use the lids.
IMHO, most people DO use the lid... and for good reason (as others already mentioned).

Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IMHO, most people DO use the lid... and for good reason (as others already mentioned).
Thanks for sharing. Now I know it's not a regional preference.

I've discredited many of the reasons mentioned---in regards to how they don't apply to my house.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,359,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
What Magnolia said - and here's another study
Think before you flush or brush | Serendip Studio

The aerosol effect isn't just about your toothbrush, it's about the walls, the doorknobs, the light switch, the sink... you get the picture. No - it isn't a regional preference, it's a sanitation preference.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,210,743 times

Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,099,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
What Magnolia said - and here's another study
Think before you flush or brush | Serendip Studio

The aerosol effect isn't just about your toothbrush, it's about the walls, the doorknobs, the light switch, the sink... you get the picture. No - it isn't a regional preference, it's a sanitation preference.
Sorry, there's poo everywhere.
Do Poop Particles Get on Toothbrushes? | Suite101

Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
Hopes, seriously, you have a new kitten...you don't want to find Bobbles spinning in the porcelain dog dish..

Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for sharing. Now I know it's not a regional preference.
I've discredited many of the reasons mentioned.
There are other reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do toilet seats have lids?-1382361_645865875436475_1291832882_n.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House