Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM

270 posts, read 832,609 times

Advertisements

So I need to re-paint the exterior metal rail on the steps leading to my front door. It's rusty but not to the point of flaky, also there are spots where original paint started to show bubble and peel off.

I went to home depot and sherwin williams to buy paint and get some education on the paint job (first home owner, first paint job). HD paint guy told me that I can use latex paint as they are newer technology and I don't need paint thinner to clean the brush, just with soapy water. But he advised me that only use matching primer with the paint (water based to water based, oil based to oil based).

Sherwin guy told me another story. He said, latex paint can be used on top of oil based paint or primer, but not the other way around. Since I don't know what type of original paint was used, he said just sand off the rusty spots and apply oil based primer to cover up the rusty spots, then paint the whole thing with latex paint wouod be fine. His points were:
1. Only use oil based primer for rust protection;
2. primer needs to be applied on bare metal, so unless I want to remove the original paint entirely, it might not be a good idea to use primer on the rest of paint covered surface.
3. since I don't know what paint was used, but I need to use oil based primer for rust, if the original paint is water based, applying the oil primer on top of water based paint would be a problem later on(cracking, bad adeshision of paint).

Which opinion is right? I searched online for rusty metal surface paint, most of them suggested used oild based everything, and use primer for the entire surface, but I think most of them were talking about bare metal surface without old paint.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
When I had rusted railing, I sanded (not down to bare metal) then used Rustoleum sprays - primer and paint.
Worked like a charm!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM

You sprayed the whole rail not just the rusty spots right? And did you take off the rail or it's free standing? I could not take off mine, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the spray without the paint hitting on the ground, and off in the air as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:09 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
To original poster! That's all completely wrong advice! (What you have been told.)

You need to sand down the flaking paint with black sandpaper, then regular, going from coarse to finer.
Remove dust completely.
Apply Os-Pho (Phosphoric acid) to rusted areas, 2 X. (Os-Pho is an inexpensive green liquid)
Wait 24 hours.
Apply XIM OIL-BASE primer, 2X, preferably. (Use either clear XIM or white - your choice)
LIGHTLY sand again.
Remove all dust.
Apply the finish OIL base paint.
Do all of the above by brush!

Do not stray from this process at any stage!

Oil base products can be removed from brushes with mineral spirits; a disposable brush should be used for the XIM(!) primer; simple water clean-up of the disposable brush used with the phosphoric acid. Use gloves for the acid treatment on the rust.
(Rust will turn black. That's good.)

Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default rainroosty is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You need to...
Yes.
Exactly.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Everybody is telling me different method, so confusing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
Everybody is telling me different method, so confusing.

LOL... here's another one. If it's me I'm going to use a grinder and wire wheel to get it all down to bare metal quickly. Compressor to blow the dust off, apply primer, apply paint...

Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 AM

I wish I have a tool collection like you guys do. Your way sounds like a total remake, can u guys suggest the quick and easier way? And most importantly, which opinion regarding the oil based and water based usage was correct? Just don't want to do anything obviously wrong. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM

447 posts, read 1,043,904 times
I can tell you that when it comes to treating rust, anything "quick and easy" will result in you having to do the job over again when the rust comes back in a year or two.

Post #4 is the way to go. If you can't do it yourself, find a handyman.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<meh> Cover the durned thing with a wood rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House