U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,702,698 times

Advertisements

As promised, I am reporting back with the results of our house's duct cleaning. Before duct cleaning: Visible dust on furniture even when dusted daily. I dusted 2 days ago (after cleaning) and still no visible dust on dark wood furniture. For the third day in a row, I woke up being able to breathe through my nose (usually I am congested). Pretty dramatic results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,848,425 times
Who did you use for the duct cleaning?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,702,698 times
A local company here in Kentucky - recommended by our heating/cooling company - Thompson Heating & Cooling - reputable company in our area...always nice to have a referral.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM

3,360 posts, read 3,277,920 times
I've often wondered if duct cleaning was beneficial or just another way for money to be made.

How do they charge? A flat rate? By the size of your house?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,824,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I've often wondered if duct cleaning was beneficial or just another way for money to be made.
If someone believes it is beneficial then it is beneficial.

Note that the OP's duct cleaning apparently turned off the spontaneous generation of dust by her ductwork thus the cleaning was beneficial.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM

15,534 posts, read 21,447,027 times
Thanks for reporting back, cattknap. I had my ducts and unit cleaned 6 years ago. I used a firm that's certified by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association and has an A rating from the BBB.

The cleaning took 4-5 hours and cost $900.00 (I have a small house), but it was the best $$$ I've ever spent on this house. Before the cleaning, I suffered from very bad allergies/sinus issues. Since the cleaning, I havent had one problem.

And I had no expectations that it would be beneficial. Actually, I almost expected it not to work so well, mainly due to negative remarks on this forum (by people who've had no first-hand experience with duct cleaning). But I had to do something to try to relieve my headaches, stuffiness and sore throats. And am I ever glad I did.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM

3,949 posts, read 9,993,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

How do they charge? A flat rate? By the size of your house?
It works quite well for rigid metal ducts typically found in older houses, but not so much for the modern flex duct, although still helpful. With that said, for $900 I could replace all the (flexible) ductwork in my 3400 sq ft house, twice. Add a 4" media filter at the unit and stop the dust before it even migrates into the system.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM

3,114 posts, read 5,547,000 times
If we had stayed in our old house, I would have gotten the ducts cleaned as the house was built in the 60's. Even though when we bought it, we converted it from single zone forced hot-air oil heat to a dual-zone heat pump system, much of the original ductwork was re-used. I installed a whole-house humidifier the year before we moved and was horrified by the amount of crust and funk inside the ductwork. I did what I could with a shop-vac in the immediate area near the air handler.

When I bought my current home, I asked the home inspector about getting the ducts cleaned and he told me the it would be as waste of money. He said they were so clean he thought it had been done recently, plus my current house has filters on each return instead of just one filter right at the air handler like my old house. I imagine that keeps things cleaner since the return air is being filtered at the point of entry into the ductwork, and not at the point of entry into the air handler.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM

41,344 posts, read 52,529,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
As promised, I am reporting back with the results of our house's duct cleaning. Before duct cleaning: Visible dust on furniture even when dusted daily. I dusted 2 days ago (after cleaning) and still no visible dust on dark wood furniture. For the third day in a row, I woke up being able to breathe through my nose (usually I am congested). Pretty dramatic results.
Check back in 4-6 weeks and let us know. Unless you sealed your house completely and never open a door or window dust will always be present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House