Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
Is it the same as calling an hvac contractor? Or the gas company would do it cheaper or free? Unfortunately the fix failed today after a few days of no heat pump usage. The pilot fire went out again. Guess I will buy a thermo first. From the picture I had above, it's a Honeywell unit. Would the one lowes have for Honeywell work? Lowes only have three types of thermocouple for Honeywell, just differ by length of copper wire.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, most thermocouples are universal in operation( especially residential)- just come in different lengths.

Most operate on a 30mA current- if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 833,240 times
OK, I got this part from lowes (Shop Honeywell 24-in Replacement Thermocouple for Gas Furnaces, Boilers, Water Heaters and Room Heaters at Lowes.com) and replaced the old one. That metal rod is longer in the new part compared to the new, so they are not identical.

I had to adjust the position of the new thermo so that the tip is relatively close to the pilot (not protruding over it), otherwise the pilot fire would not stay no matter how long I press and hold the control knob.

After that, the ignitor is still not working, no matter how I press, wiggle, secure the limit (the picture I posted above). Somehow still no gas coming out, no main fire.

Now my question is, is there any other place I should reset or adjust or I should just call up a contractor. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM

359 posts, read 1,099,969 times
looking at your pic., 1 you need to clean pilot it looks yellow....it should be blue..........even w/new thermo.it wont work until it s clean and blue, your pic. of limit is a roll out limit........if flames roll out it licks the limit and melts and stops all 24 volt going to gas valve.........shutting gas off and turns on the blower...........so when you take wire off of pole at limit it shuts off the gas and brings on blower. just an old gas man. to clean pilot remove 2 screws left of pilot,pull out pilot bracket,now unscrew tubing {brass } nut around tubing. pull out tubing ,unsrew thermocoupling. now you have the pilot bracket in your hand ......take to sink flush and brush w/water........now blow on pilot orfice side.......do you hear air out of orfice........yes..........it should be clean. now reinstall at this time you can replace thermo. good luck.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
looking at your pic., 1 you need to clean pilot it looks yellow....it should be blue..........even w/new thermo.it wont work until it s clean and blue, your pic. of limit is a roll out limit........if flames roll out it licks the limit and melts and stops all 24 volt going to gas valve.........shutting gas off and turns on the blower...........so when you take wire off of pole at limit it shuts off the gas and brings on blower. just an old gas man. to clean pilot remove 2 screws left of pilot,pull out pilot bracket,now unscrew tubing {brass } nut around tubing. pull out tubing ,unsrew thermocoupling. now you have the pilot bracket in your hand ......take to sink flush and brush w/water........now blow on pilot orfice side.......do you hear air out of orfice........yes..........it should be clean. now reinstall at this time you can replace thermo. good luck.
Thanks for your reply. Your punctuation confused me a little bit. So when you said "so when you take wire off of pole at limit it shuts off the gas and brings on blower.", that's just the explanation for the roll out limit right? not something I should do before taking the pilot bracket out.

And also were you saying that limit in my picture should have nothing to do with my problem here? Only when fire gets it (meaning something went wrong), it would melt and cut off the gas for safety. Is there other switches I should reset as well? Still, pilot is on now, but only fan blowing, no gas no main fire.

I tried cutting of the power from the power panel; tried adjusting thermocouple's position (it was too long), not working.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM

forget the limit, just clean pilot. if blower is on ; check to make sure thermostat is on auto at fan switch,check to see if gas valve is in the on positon..... if that ok than theres an open limit...........time to call a pro.........gas co ,hvac.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, maybe it's time to call in a pro? Gas is nothing to mess with ...

Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
forget the limit, just clean pilot. if blower is on ; check to make sure thermostat is on auto at fan switch,check to see if gas valve is in the on positon..... if that ok than theres an open limit...........time to call a pro.........gas co ,hvac.
I took the pilot bracket out with that long gas tube. I cleaned up the end where gas goes out to light pilot with needle, alcohol etc. There were some junk buildup and now my pilot is blue and steady. It has not gone off for two days already.

But now I can hear hissing sound from it, not loud but definitely more noticeable than before when the thingy was dirty and pilot was yellow and weak. No gas odor. Is it normal?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Your punctuation confused me a little bit. So when you said "so when you take wire off of pole at limit it shuts off the gas and brings on blower.", that's just the explanation for the roll out limit right? not something I should do before taking the pilot bracket out.

And also were you saying that limit in my picture should have nothing to do with my problem here? Only when fire gets it (meaning something went wrong), it would melt and cut off the gas for safety. Is there other switches I should reset as well? Still, pilot is on now, but only fan blowing, no gas no main fire.

I tried cutting of the power from the power panel; tried adjusting thermocouple's position (it was too long), not working.
BTW an hvac tech came over and found out the wire for pressure switch was not providing voltage. All he did was to disconnect and reconnect the corresponding plug on the control board and power came back my burner started to get gas. He could not explain why the problem occurred but said if same problem came back I might need a new control board.

My pilot went out twice after he left which induced my cleaning procedure.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM

the pressure switch is a safety,its job is to make sure the vent motor is running and that the vent is clear.check the vent piping for animals and other stuff. and w/a clean pilot its more noisey.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
BTW an hvac tech came over and found out the wire for pressure switch was not providing voltage. All he did was to disconnect and reconnect the corresponding plug on the control board and power came back my burner started to get gas. He could not explain why the problem occurred but said if same problem came back I might need a new control board.

My pilot went out twice after he left which induced my cleaning procedure.

So a year later, after the furnace has been running on and off for about two weeks this season. Same problem occurred today, no gas for the burner. I copied what the tech did last time, unplug and cleaned the plug on the control board and plug it back in, and I got gas. But as soon as I put the cover of the control board on, it got tripped again.

What could be the reason? And when you guys said cleaned the vent, which vent were you referring to that got clogged? I thought the furnace and water heater vent to the chimney. How would I be able to clean that up? Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House