Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
$30-50k for just the kitchen?
If you're inclined to be sold on the latest and trendiest...
and/or get sucked into expanding the space that then has to be filled...
it's not hard at all to take a $10,000 total remodel into the stratosphere.
If disinclined to spend beyond need... stop watching the home improvement shows.

Quote:
Plumbing I can do myself as well.... Carpentry I freely admit I suck at ... electrical I can do little things
I am thinking of half tearing down the two walls...
If you're committed to rebuilding... an amateurs time is almost always best spent earning money
(doing what you ordinarily do to earn) and hiring pro's to do the tougher and especially the trade
(permit/license/inspection) level work.

How emotionally tied to "Mom's House" are you?
How practical is it to remain living in the area?
iow... you might be better off to sell the house largely "as is" (after a good clean/clear)
and then to buy another and possibly new home that already has the features you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Keep in mind that there may "surprises" also. My thought was there isn't anyway to really tell, whether it makes sense to sink that much money in the house because can you eventually recoup it? We have done just little things and materials are SO high now.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Keep in mind that there may "surprises" also. My thought was there isn't anyway to really tell, whether it makes sense to sink that much money in the house because can you eventually recoup it? We have done just little things and materials are SO high now.
My brother and his wife just bought their retirement home, which is in an exceptionally nice area but was lower priced than others in the area because it needed some cosmetic work, which they were willing to pay to have done. They've already had some expensive surprises, so I suggest budgeting more than you think you'll need.

Years ago when I lived in San Francisco, I bought a really cute little house which had a recently remodeled kitchen. The seller had bought very nice-quality white cabinets (a must for me; I don't know why, but I can't abide crappy kitchen cabinets, maybe because I grew up with them ), and put in charcoal granite-design Formica counter tops and a nice vinyl floor with a charcoal and white pattern. He didn't buy a fancy gas range or refrigerator, and I've never cared about super fancy refrigerators because I just need them to keep my food cold, not make a statement. The kitchen had a really clean, sophisticated look and everyone who came to the house commented on how nice it was. So it's possible to do a fairly inexpensive kitchen if you lay off the granite, Italian tile floors, super-expensive appliances, etc. Just don't skimp on cabinets whose finish is going to go to pot quickly.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Are you considering also the cost of Chicago construction permit fees? If not wanting to go the legal route, hope you're super-friendly with your neighbors, who may object to the noise, equipment, dumpster, etc. Non-permitted changes are an obstacle for a future sale, too.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
All I want is to see a decent functional house that doesn't have ripped wall paper, not a closed off kitchen that someone has to get up from where they are sitting at the table when someone else want to enter the kitchen, no asbestos tiles, no ripped carpeting etc. Nothing high-end. I am not a fan of granite, I think quartz composite is a better choice.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
All I want is to see a decent functional house...
Nothing high-end. I am not a fan of granite, I think quartz composite is a better choice.
It's time to get objective with a design and set of specifications you can shop.
See how much that soup to nuts scope will actually cost - get a couple of estimates

Juggle the plan some to see how much you can practically do yourself (skill & time)...
and whether the trustworthy contractor will cooperate with that (few will).

But mostly... it's time to stop speculating on the internet.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I can give you some prices . A remodel or rehab runs 50-120k depending on how badly it's jacked up opt how extensive. Cheap kitchen cabinets will not last. Spend the money on better materials. My remodel on a rental is probably gonna be 60k.
First of all, forget get what you see on the surface. If the house is older you will find dry rot, wet rot or termite damage. Also you will most likely need to pull permits for such a extensive job AND need to bring things to code.
Forget the bs you see on TV. The host does very little work. Its dirty, messy, expensive and if you cut corners you'll end up with a pile of crap. Spend the money to do it right. My remodel is costing me a pretty penny but I refuse to do a crappy job just to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House