U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,467,997 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with installing/having installed under-counter sinks? I'm remodeling a small kitchen. Basically, I'm wondering how I pick out a sink. It will be an undercounter model. Does it need to have holds for the faucet? Most don't. Is that typically mounted right through the counter nowadays? Is there a general trend towards both sinks being the same size? Some have one that is smaller. How do I know if a certain height will give me enough room for a garburator?

If anyone has any guidance I appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:17 PM

4,049 posts, read 7,323,110 times
If you think about an undercounter sink, there is no "edge" of the sink itself to install the faucet on. So it has to be installed on/through the counter.

I've seen equal size sinks and one larger than the other. I would much prefer the one larger if it was big enough to handle my big frying pan and cookie sheets.

I don't know what a garburator is.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,913,265 times
I have one - didn't do the work myself. I love it! I have one big sink rather than two side by side. If you have one, you can't have a garbage disposal, but I don't like those things anyway. If you want a disposal, you have to get the double sink.

Yes, the holes for the faucet, the overflow and (if you want one) soap dispenser go through the countertop.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 6,901,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I have one - didn't do the work myself. I love it! I have one big sink rather than two side by side. If you have one, you can't have a garbage disposal, but I don't like those things anyway. If you want a disposal, you have to get the double sink.

Yes, the holes for the faucet, the overflow and (if you want one) soap dispenser go through the countertop.
We have a single bowl sink and have a disposal. Been that way for 10 years now.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

5,909 posts, read 7,024,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Me too. It was in there when we moved in. It's been there since '96 or so, I think. I should replace the rubber collar baffle but I know that as soon as I do the whole thing will die.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,913,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Perhaps code is different where I live, or has been updated. We remodeled our kitchen last year and that's what I was told.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM

442 posts, read 1,012,753 times
I replaced the double bowl and disposal with a large single bowl sink and love it.

There is a lot more room than before, and I don't miss the disposal at all.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

18,413 posts, read 20,154,644 times
I have big and little sink. If I were to redo it again I would do two big sinks and the disposal in the center in its own sink
Or two big sinks side by side. Always undercounter

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
I have one large sink and one smaller sink, undermount , side by side. No garberator. I use a composter outside for my fruit and vegetable peelings. Works for me.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:31 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Does anyone have any experience with installing/having installed under-counter sinks? I'm remodeling a small kitchen. Basically, I'm wondering how I pick out a sink. It will be an undercounter model. Does it need to have holds for the faucet? Most don't. Is that typically mounted right through the counter nowadays? Is there a general trend towards both sinks being the same size? Some have one that is smaller. How do I know if a certain height will give me enough room for a garburator?

If anyone has any guidance I appreciate it.
I don't use garburators. It's just one more thing to maintain/repair, and it's bad for the pipes. If it has to be garburated, it shouldn't go down the drain, IMO. (I have an old house.)

I have loved not having a garbage disposal since I got rid of it years ago. Don't miss it at all. More room under the sink.

I like having two sinks, since I hand wash some dishes and need the other side for rinsing w/cold water. I used to have one large side and one small one. I liked that. Now I have 2 equal sized sides. I like that, too. If I had my wish, I'd have two HUGE sinks side by side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or