Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

Our house has no basement, and we have wine stashed here and there. Our house is small, and we have 2 full and one half baths. The half bath is not needed at all. It's also located right off the kitchen, which I don't like. We had the idea to take the sink and toilet out, and put up some cool, but not expensive wine racks, to turn it into a wine cellar(even though it's above ground).

My question is how much would it cost a contractor to take the sink and toilet out, and put some kind of shelving in. I am guessing cheaper than installing a half bath? Does this sound crazy or have any of you done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Well, anything is possible-
But you're still not going to have a climate-controlled "wine room"- is basically just a closet for wine. Then when you sell- you'll probably be restoring the bath.

Sound worth it?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Does this sound crazy or have any of you done this?
I think it is a wonderful idea.
We are trying to find space for a wine closet in out house too!

I would think you could do a lot of the work yourself.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
If you're not plsnning on selling anytime soon, do whatever pleases you. But if you are selling in a few years that half bath will have value.

We put in wine racks in a basement utility room where our electrical boxes and main water shutoff are. Its not climate controlled but never gets over 70. Unless you're a serious collector and planning to hold bottles for 5-10 years or more, I wouldnt go overboard on climate control. Basically just build a pantry and close the register in winter (assuming central heat/ac).

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Do you have a spare closet? It would probably be easier, cheaper, and less-permanent to convert a closet. How many wine bottles are we talking about here? The smallest closet in my house could hold 75 bottles of wine if you allow a 6x6 area per bottle ti accommodate for the bottle itself and the shelving/rack.

And only since you asked the question, yes, I think it sounds crazy.

Another option would be to purchase a cabinet specifically for storing wine bottles. I've seen many that can hold 100-200 bottles, and a few that hold 300 or so. But again, it all depends on how many bottles we are talking about.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, anything is possible-
But you're still not going to have a climate-controlled "wine room"- is basically just a closet for wine. Then when you sell- you'll probably be restoring the bath.

Sound worth it?
You are probably right......

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If you're not plsnning on selling anytime soon, do whatever pleases you. But if you are selling in a few years that half bath will have value.

We put in wine racks in a basement utility room where our electrical boxes and main water shutoff are. Its not climate controlled but never gets over 70. Unless you're a serious collector and planning to hold bottles for 5-10 years or more, I wouldnt go overboard on climate control. Basically just build a pantry and close the register in winter (assuming central heat/ac).
We are not serious collectors, and it is mostly reds, so it doesn't really need cooling. Maybe some wine racks are the answer.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Do you have a spare closet? It would probably be easier, cheaper, and less-permanent to convert a closet. How many wine bottles are we talking about here? The smallest closet in my house could hold 75 bottles of wine if you allow a 6x6 area per bottle ti accommodate for the bottle itself and the shelving/rack.

And only since you asked the question, yes, I think it sounds crazy.

Another option would be to purchase a cabinet specifically for storing wine bottles. I've seen many that can hold 100-200 bottles, and a few that hold 300 or so. But again, it all depends on how many bottles we are talking about.
This is a really good idea! We do have a spare closet off the kitchen we use to put our coats, but we could just as easily use the one in the front hall. The spare closet could probably hold some wine racks of sorts. That might just work. We have some wine racks in the dining room, built in as furniture. These look really nice. It hold 6 cases, and it's usually full. We have other full cases we got good buys on, stashed here and there. None of these wines are super expensive, but some are not very available, so like to buy a bunch when located. It would be so handy to be able to put them in racks, rather than did through boxes.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
I'd just get a nice wine fridge, which will keep the wine at the correct temp. If you are doing a wine room, it should be at the proper temp, or it's kind of worthless.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Interesting idea. Thinking about this from my own perspective, since plumbing and electrical already exists in the room, making it into a *really* nice wine room would be easy.

My idea would be to gut the space myself, have the toilet drain sealed by a plumber, then finish the construction on my own. I figure around $2000 to convert my idea of an "average" half bath space into a nice wine room, to include a dual zone wine refrigerator, wet bar sink, nice counter and cabinet(s), wine glass storage (cabinet or hanging rack), flooring, and wine rack materials. Obviously, I have no idea what your time and experience allows.

By leaving the room structure intact (i.e. not moving walls), it would be possible to switch it back into a 1/2 bath for a small cost at some time in the future, if you wanted to sell the house and the half bath was deemed more desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House