Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

So the EPA recommends a randon fan installed if your radon level tests at 4.0 or higher.

Our basement tested at 3.9. We live in Colorado so radon is very common here and is found in a lot of homes. Many homes have radon fans installed.

When we bought the house we didn't ask them to do remediation although I'm kind of wishing we did. The levels on the test varied from the 1.5 range all the way up to 5.5 range, depending on the time of day.

We don't use our basement often although it is finished living space. The levels are apparently cut in half as you go up each level of the house. Based on this analogy our bedrooms would have negligible if any radon. Our basement is a garden level, not a walk out so there is a crawl space area with ground soil adjacent to our storage area/ furnace/ water heater, etc. This is the location where the inspector placed the radon test.

We will probably bite the bullet and have the fan installed. It won't hurt our home value here because it is so common. I'm just wondering what other people would do in this scenario and if I am over reacting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Honestly I would spend money SEALING UP THE CRAWL SPACE long before I would spend anything on "fans" for radon remediation. The improvement in not just "radon levels" but overall air quality and utility will be IMMENSELY greater with a nice hard surfaced crawl space than having exposed soil...

Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
We have a system in my house, our reading is .5, I'd look into installing one. They are cheap to run, only cost 1000-1500 and are at the very least a piece of mind. You can read up on radon and see a lot of back and forth arguments but better safe than sorry in this scenario.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
So the EPA recommends a randon fan installed if your radon level tests at 4.0 or higher.

Our basement tested at 3.9. We live in Colorado so radon is very common here and is found in a lot of homes. Many homes have radon fans installed.

When we bought the house we didn't ask them to do remediation although I'm kind of wishing we did. The levels on the test varied from the 1.5 range all the way up to 5.5 range, depending on the time of day.

We don't use our basement often although it is finished living space. The levels are apparently cut in half as you go up each level of the house. Based on this analogy our bedrooms would have negligible if any radon. Our basement is a garden level, not a walk out so there is a crawl space area with ground soil adjacent to our storage area/ furnace/ water heater, etc. This is the location where the inspector placed the radon test.

We will probably bite the bullet and have the fan installed. It won't hurt our home value here because it is so common. I'm just wondering what other people would do in this scenario and if I am over reacting.
Curious, how old is the house? Common sense would say that when radon is as common as it is in CO most AHJ's require a radon vent system (which is nothing more than a gravel filled pit with a piece of 4" PVC stuck in it, under the concrete slab, vented out the roof, in extreme circumstances a booster fan is connected in-line with the vent). So, when you said you wished you had asked for the remediation I assume you meant have the seller install before closing?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
SEALING UP THE CRAWL SPACE ...
it's a basement chet.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Our house is 34 years old so back when they were building it wasn't a requirement. Many new construction homes around here have them included with the house.

Yes, we could probably have the crawl space finished but it is an area that is kind of above and adjacent to the main basement area so it isn't really usable space other than for additional storage. The inspector did say if we sealed it with plastic it would probably reduce the radon levels.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Curious, how old is the house? Common sense would say that when radon is as common as it is in CO most AHJ's require a radon vent system (which is nothing more than a gravel filled pit with a piece of 4" PVC stuck in it, under the concrete slab, vented out the roof, in extreme circumstances a booster fan is connected in-line with the vent). So, when you said you wished you had asked for the remediation I assume you meant have the seller install before closing?

So normally if your levels are above 4.0 you can agree to get the seller to pay for the fan. In our case 3 other people were offering on our house and there was a back up offer so we were nervous about asking for too much. We really loved this house and didn't want to lose it to another buyer.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Look at it this way, if you ever sell the house you are probably going to end up paying for a radon mitigation system anyway. If you pay now it will cost less and you won't think about it every time you go down into the basement.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
So normally if your levels are above 4.0 you can agree to get the seller to pay for the fan. In our case 3 other people were offering on our house and there was a back up offer so we were nervous about asking for too much. We really loved this house and didn't want to lose it to another buyer.
As the seller, leave windows open during the Radon testing. It will become a non-issue.....LOL

Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Fans don't cost a lot to install, and there are several benefits.
First, you are positive that the radon levels will be low.
Second, you will lower the humidity in the house.
Third, you will likely increase the value of the house because you have a system installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House