Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be useful to have the cableTV/internet/phone go under the driveway to the house instead of in the air where tree branches fall in ice storms. I see these techniques to go under sidewalk, but they look very difficult to go under a 15' driveway.

Since the cable isn't electric, and it can't really be crushed by car tires, would there be a problem if I simply stapled it on top of the driveway and drove over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I believe it is called horizontal drilling. My cable company had to do it to get my cable under my two car wide driveway as we have all underground utilities. I did not pay for it. They hired a company that does this work. I have no idea of he cost but it is quite common.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I see these techniques to go under sidewalk, but they look very difficult to go under a 15' driveway.
Call a couple of local electricians and ask about cost for providing the PVC sleeve for you.
It'll be worth it.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Since the cable isn't electric, and it can't really be crushed by car tires, would there be a problem if I simply stapled it on top of the driveway and drove over it?
It isn't higher voltage electric, but it is a cable and does carry an electrical signal, driving over it WILL crush it and cause it to stop working in a very, very short time. If you want it across the driveway and not overhead there is only one way to do it and have it last... under the driveway.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Some people have used a concrete saw to cut a narrow slot across the drive, drop cable in, backfill with asphalt filler. Also is done for the pet control wire called Invisible Fence.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Is the cable buried until it gets to your house, or is it on poles? If it's on poles, burying the drop isn't going to help much.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
My telephone company had to put a wire across my driveway a few years ago. It was done with a machine and they actually contracted a 3rd party contractor to do it.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Is the cable buried until it gets to your house, or is it on poles? If it's on poles, burying the drop isn't going to help much.
I realize that it will only improve the possibility of saving service by a marginal amount. In fact when it has been cut in the past, it has never been at the drop.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Generally speaking, running a conduit underneath a driveway is not a DIY project, but it is necessary if you wish to move the power/cable/sprinkler etc. from one side of the drive to the other.

Likely the cable company will hire a third party to come in which a 'ditch witch' and they will drill under your driveway in no time at all. Likely it is a couple hour project to start the trench, tunnel under the driveway, force the conduit through the hole, and clean up the mess ( minor).

I suggest you do put your cable under the driveway, and have an external contractor do the work. No, it isn't a good idea to leave the cable lying on top of the driveway. Dropping it into a slit in the concrete might work, but why damage your driveway like that when for the same effort you can do it properly?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
If you go to the sprinkler section of a Home Improvement store, they usually sell a kit where you glue a nozzle on one end and a hose fitting on the other of a PVC pipe.

Dig a hole on each side and you can actually use the water from the nozzle to blast through under the concrete if your soil is suitable for the technique, then you cut the nozzle and hose connection off and use the conduit.

However, this is usually done on a sidewalk, so I am not sure how well it will work to get all the way across the driveway. You would probably have to dig a bigger hole fore sure and use a much longer pipe of course. I would also recommend doing this in line with an existing joint in the concrete slab as if it weakens the area underneath you want any cracks to be contained to the existing joint.

Here is a link to the first thin I found searching with instructions on how to do it using off the shelf parts, but I have seen a kit with all the parts also. Irrigation Helps & Tutorials - How to Dig & Run Pipe Under Driveway or Sidewalk for Irrigation System Installation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House