Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM

210 posts, read 708,124 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy 2 new vacuums.

(We have a dog & a cat.)

1 - for medium to shag carpet. I've read that they are almost too powerful and can ruin longer carpert. Has anyone had experience with this?

2. for hardwood & tile. I was looking at the Dyson slim. It looks perfect for our main floor. Is the battery life really only 10 minutes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreaciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
what's a vacuum?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
I looked at Dyson, bought a Shark Lift-A-Way, better vacuum and a fraction of the cost... I have carpet, Tile and wood.
The guy at the vacuum repair shop advised me against Dyson... I'm so glad he did...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Dyson vacuum cleaners have a lot of suction, so maybe they could damage rugs with a very thick pile (the ones with strings near the surface?). However, I don't really know about that.

My wife and I purchased a Dyson vacuum cleaner, DC-14, I believe, perhaps 6 years ago before they came up with the Ball models to remove pet hair. All I can say it that this has been the most reliable vacuum cleaner we have ever purchased. Not a single hiccup with it. But every now and then we turn it upside down and clip a bunch of my wife's red hair from the beater brush

Now, we have a short-haired, half-Lab dog that drops a lot of black hairs on the rugs, and this vacuum cleaner does a wonderful job removing the dog's hair from the floors. I imagine that the Dyson "pets" models work as well or better than the one we have.

I won't tell you what to buy, but am very pleased with the Dyson model we have. We waited for store sells to take place, and bought it just when the price dropped before Christmas.

This is Abbie, and she likes to drag herself on the rug using her front paws while flat on her stomach (she weights around 70 pounds):

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
I considered a Dyson after we got a short haired dog even though the cost would have hurt. The power and the longevity were enticing. I mentioned this to a person who had one - purchased for her by her family - and she said it was fine but would not have spent that amount of money. On a whim, knowing I could return the machine, I purchased a Shark Navigator and I very happy with it. Now it is several years old and several models behind, but it gets used daily and does a great job on wood, carpet and tile. The accessories can be a bit awkward and I think they have improved the design but for $99, I have no complaints.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
FYI - I just received an email that the Dyson vacuum is going to be a QVC TSV.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what's a vacuum?

For some, it's a space inwhich to live. For others, it's the space between their ears.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Dyson vacuum cleaners have a lot of suction, so maybe they could damage rugs with a very thick pile (the ones with strings near the surface?). However, I don't really know about that.

My wife and I purchased a Dyson vacuum cleaner, DC-14, I believe, perhaps 6 years ago before they came up with the Ball models to remove pet hair. All I can say it that this has been the most reliable vacuum cleaner we have ever purchased. Not a single hiccup with it. But every now and then we turn it upside down and clip a bunch of my wife's red hair from the beater brush

Now, we have a short-haired, half-Lab dog that drops a lot of black hairs on the rugs, and this vacuum cleaner does a wonderful job removing the dog's hair from the floors. I imagine that the Dyson "pets" models work as well or better than the one we have.

I won't tell you what to buy, but am very pleased with the Dyson model we have. We waited for store sells to take place, and bought it just when the price dropped before Christmas.

This is Abbie, and she likes to drag herself on the rug using her front paws while flat on her stomach (she weights around 70 pounds):
Thank you! By the way, Abbie is very sweet.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I looked at Dyson, bought a Shark Lift-A-Way, better vacuum and a fraction of the cost... I have carpet, Tile and wood.
The guy at the vacuum repair shop advised me against Dyson... I'm so glad he did...
Thank you. I will look into the shark!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Actually the Dyson is terrible. The suction on that is horrendous and considering you have shag. It will eat your shag carpet. Instead of buying two vacuums just get a Kirby Sentria II vacuum cleaner. It does carpet, wood and tile and it's the best purchase I've ever made when it comes to home care. Unfortunately, they only sell them door to door so you would have to go to the main website and request them to come over. Hey, do that and at least see what it can do for your household. They last for years as well. I had a 30 year old Kirby before I bought a new one.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 11-22-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House