Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Our house was built in 2012 and a few months ago I noticed a crack in my wall. Later I noticed the crown molding separating from the ceiling. Today, I noticed the crown molding on the other side of the wall is separating too. Should I be concerned or is my house just settling/adjusting to the temperature (we live in TN)? We have a very wide opening going into the kitchen, could that have something to do with it? I don't see where this is an issue anywhere else in the house.

Corner:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...redownload.jpg

Wall Next to Corner:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...download-1.jpg

Other Side of Wall:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...download-2.jpg

Wide Entranceway:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...download-3.jpg

Thank you for the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Could be just a little settling I would mark it and see if it gets bigger or shifts. A small pencil mark at the end. You can buy specific stick on stretch guages but those are usually used on commercial buildings. You can simply measure. The crack size and then. Write it in pencil next to the mark and monitor it

Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Star,
Do you know any one in the construction trade?
Ask around, mabey a friend of the family, a neighbor?
You need someone who really knows construction to have a look
at that.
I don't like the look of it. It shouldn't be cracking like that. Settling doesn't
look that bad.
Ask around and have someone look at it.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,796 times
In Tennessee do you need to water your foundation? I know in Texas we dealt with weird soils and had to water the perimeter of our house all the time when it got dry and hot (which was often!). We were told to watch out for those type of cracks above door frames and windows. Our house was about 15 years old and the crown mouldings looked just like your pics and our house didn't have any foundation issues. We had a few minor cracks and nail pops here and there. It was inspected thoroughly when we sold it and despite the cracks it was referenced as normal settling. A lot of the houses in my neighborhood had huge cracks in the walls but this was kind of the norm. One home did need foundation work but that was because it was vacant for over a year and no one watered the house it properly.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
If you've only got one crack like that, it's probably not much to worry about. If more show up, then worry.

My house was built in 2010. My foundation is cracked in a pretty dramatic way, from one side of the house to the other...the tile along the crack has popped off the floor, and on the carpeted part, you can feel a big ridge. We have cracks that look like the one in your picture everywhere that there is an arch leading from one room to the next, going up from the doors, and from a couple of windows. We have other cracks where the ceiling has pulled apart, and where walls are pulled apart with gaps showing. We have places where it looks like the walls are ripped. The cracks going up from doorframes and windowframes, the ones that look like the one in your picture, are the very last ones that showed up in our house...so I think if you don't have all the other junk going on, you probably don't have a major problem, just normal settlement.

Your floor wasn't in the picture, but if you have ceramic tile, you'll know if you have a foundation problem under it.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
This doesn't look right to me. Do you have a guarantee with the builder for a number of years?

Honestly, I'd have it looked at.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,982 times
I would also add this: it's quite sh***ty paint job on your pictures. If the rest of the house was constructed that way, I'd be concerned.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
I would also add this: it's quite sh***ty paint job on your pictures. If the rest of the house was constructed that way, I'd be concerned.
LOL!
I thought the same thing.

If the painting is that shoddy, what else is?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL!
I thought the same thing.

If the painting is that shoddy, what else is?
i thought that too!

Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Well, this thread certainly took a left turn! I'll stick to the question at-hand while y'all get a giggle over painting techniques.

This is a prior post of mine that will probably explain what is happening-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/20481170-post5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House