Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:49 AM

452 posts, read 709,240 times

Advertisements

I've had 3 front loaders and I hated them. I went back to the washboard (no kidding) which I did to prove a point. The hubby pulled a load of his work clothes out of the dryer (Duet, both) and they didn't look clean to me. Now, after a 50 minute cycle, you'd think they were.

I took the warm load of clothes, grabbed my washtubs and plunger and within seconds, the water turned so dark you couldn't see the clothes! GROSS!

I use Melaleuca, so there's no gross smell in the front loader, but I only use it for towels and nightgowns and such...I like my clothes clean and no washer can do it as well as I can by hand.

I'd use a top loader with an agitator. The HE's only slop clothes around and not very well either.
The washers in the US aren't as heavy duty as the ones in Europe (like my aunts). Those suckers are great..ours seem to be a flimsy replica of theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,821,726 times
When I was little, I always wonder why my clothes look so 'worn' and 'old' so fast. It's because my parent's old (as in 30 yr old) washer was so heavy duty that the wash cycle rubs the clothes way to hard. Plus, I'm sure my mom jammed as much clothes in each load as she could since we had 5 people in the house.

When that sucker broke, they bought a LG top load HE with no agitator and in comparison, the wash is much gentler. But, my mom also says clothes don't get cleaned as well. Also, if you watch the wash process, there is so little water used that some clothes barely even get dipped in the wash water. She started putting an extra bucket of water in prior to starting. This way, the machine thinks there's more clothes in it than actual and adds more water into the cylces. After this, the clothes are indeed cleaner than before.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
I'm waiting for them to come out with a combined washer/dryer. I want to come home and find my clothes clean and dry. Meanwhile any 50-year-old washing machine and dryer work fine. Energy efficiency is hardly a factor, unless you're running laundry 24/7.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Ask, and ye shall receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm waiting for them to come out with a combined washer/dryer.
Washer Dryer Combos - All in One Washer Dryer
Comparison of Washer/ Dryer Combos

Old 12-04-2013, 02:21 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I love my Whirlpool HE frontloader. Once a month I use bleach on the clean cycle. After each load I wipe the rubber seal in front dry and dry off the door. I leave the door open at all times. I have no smell whatsoever. These must be maintained!
Yes. I left the door ajar slightly. The wiping is very important. I never found this a problem. Just taking care of something new and nice that worked perfectly.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
I have a top loader... and if I leave the door closed on that thing it smells. I've had to train the hubs to stop using the washer as a staging area for stuff going to the garage. I swear if he sees a flat surface he finds a way to fill it....

Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM

48 posts, read 102,114 times
I've had my Frigidaire front load full-size stackables for over 7 years now, with zero complaints. I wipe the door & seal when done and leave the door cracked. Never had mold or odors. I use Affresh periodically too. I did notice clothes getting cleaner than when I was using the Laundromat. I can also fit my queen comforter easily. Very happy with the pair and would definitely buy front loaders again.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
I'm a very happy owner of a Maytag Neptune front load washer and dryer for going on 15 years. I leave the doors closed and have never had any problem with odors. In fact, they've never even needed service.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,173 times
We have an older (2006) model LG front loader and have not had any odor problems. We do leave the door open and also wipe the seal to remove any remaining moisture. At the end of the day we close the door. We use liquid Tide He. I really didn't want to spring for the pedestals, but the boss said that it would make things easier, and she was right.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,241 times
i would avoid LG lifes garbage. poor custome service and if they breakdown forget about getting parts for it. shamesung id'e avoid them to same deal as LG crap customer service and if they break forget it. GE junk as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House