Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:52 PM

95 posts, read 392,643 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have ever had a gas furnace and a gas tankless water heater. I like the water heater BUT if my heater is on then I can't get hot water. The display pad of the water heater says it is not getting enough gas (roughly). The water heater is for a small house and I have no idea about the furnace. What could be causing this problem? None of the guys I have out to look at it have any idea. They have never heard of the brand of water heater (Paloma) and they say the pipes are large enough.

Does the amount of gas flow get reduced as things use it? Could it be that the gas runs to the heater first then it runs out of enough for the water heater? The only thing I can relate it to is cable the is being split with splicers if anyone remembers those.

I have not heard anything bad about the brand of water heater but they keep recommending a locally known brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,866,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
This is the first time I have ever had a gas furnace and a gas tankless water heater. I like the water heater BUT if my heater is on then I can't get hot water. The display pad of the water heater says it is not getting enough gas (roughly). The water heater is for a small house and I have no idea about the furnace. What could be causing this problem? None of the guys I have out to look at it have any idea. They have never heard of the brand of water heater (Paloma) and they say the pipes are large enough.

Does the amount of gas flow get reduced as things use it? Could it be that the gas runs to the heater first then it runs out of enough for the water heater? The only thing I can relate it to is cable the is being split with splicers if anyone remembers those.

I have not heard anything bad about the brand of water heater but they keep recommending a locally known brand.
Have they check to see if it's properly vented? How is the tankless being vent? The obvious reason may be the lack of gas supply but these tankless has electronic to monitor the venting. If not propertly vented, it will not operate.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Have they check to see if it's properly vented? How is the tankless being vent? The obvious reason may be the lack of gas supply but these tankless has electronic to monitor the venting. If not propertly vented, it will not operate.

It vents outside. If venting was the problem then why would it just start acting up now that its winter and we are running the heater?

Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,866,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
It vents outside. If venting was the problem then why would it just start acting up now that its winter and we are running the heater?
I was asking whether it share the vent with your gas boiler? If the connnection is wrong, you will get backdraft, hence not allowing your water heater to work. When the gas boiler is not running, no backdraft.

Just a hunch if the two units are sharing the same vent.

Do you have a co2 detector around the unit?

Another similiar related issue is the amount of combustion air available. Are the tankless and heater in the same enclosed room? Some utilites room are wall off but it they are too small, you need to have vent for additional air.

Last edited by sj08054; 12-26-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I was asking whether it share the vent with your gas boiler? If the connnection is wrong, you will get backdraft, hence not allowing your water heater to work. When the gas boiler is not running, no backdraft.

Just a hunch if the two units are sharing the same vent.

Do you have a co2 detector around the unit?

Another similiar related issue is the amount of combustion air available. Are the tankless and heater in the same enclosed room? Some utilites room are wall off but it they are too small, you need to have vent for additional air.

The furnace is in the crawl space under the house (fairly common around here from what I hear) and the water heater is next to the kitchen with the washer and dryer. We have a co2 detector in that room. I don't think there is a vent for the crawl space. I don't know much about it really, we just bought the place this summer and the house was built in the 50's.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM

13,056 posts, read 20,713,120 times
Yes, the supply lines are too small or something is wrong with the supply from the utility. Tankless water heaters require more volume of gas than a standard water heater although they use less volume overall to heat the same water. The installer should have done a proper supply calculation to make sure there was enough gas to maintain the tankless water heater while other gas appliances were also in use.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,804,463 times
In our area tankless water heaters require a 3/4" gas supply line and many areas (older, I presume) have only a 1/2" line requiring an expensive upgrade depending on his long the line has to be. So I'm not sure if that was checked or if that's the case with you.

I'm in the middle of debating whether or not I'm going to go that route as my existing regular water heater is 15 years old (yikes). My furnace is just a small old gravity unit (no blower) in the cellar so I bet it doesn't actually use that much gas though. And, honestly, we rarely use a furnace out this way anyhow.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,131,141 times
About three years ago we had natural gas run to the house. There was a supply line down the street, but the original owner did not have a line run to the house. Anyway, one of the things the gas company asked was how many BTUs we would be running because they wanted to make sure the line was big enough. Initially it was just a tankless Rinnai and gas logs, but also told them hoping to add a gas cooktop and furnace at some point. The private installers also asked, since of course they installed the line under the house. Then about a year ago we added the heat pump with gas backup and a gas cooktop. We were right at the max capacity for the line size, but in talking with the gas representative, we figured it would be very rare that all four appliances were run at the same time. So you may want to call the gas company and ask about the size of the line from the street to the house.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM

359 posts, read 1,094,764 times
call your gas co. its ,a gas meter to small, or gas pressure problem , my bet small meter. just an old gas man. good luck

Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,142,139 times
Wow, am I glad that I was reading this forum as I didn't know about this. Thanks for the invaluable info, folks! I have a HE gas furnace and an older, standard gas water heater that I am considering replacing with a tankless, so I'll have to be sure to check the size of my gas lines before making my decision! Since my house was built about 1925, it likely has a smaller gas line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House