Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 PM

237 posts, read 786,702 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a very nice condo. It's quiet and everything I am looking for. Has pool and terrace.

WELL I also discovered I have ants. I have seen them first by the washer/dryer, by the tub, and now, in the Kitchen wall by the cabinet. It' never a huge amount by I know this could be a big issue. And being that this is a condo building with over 170 condos in it, I have a feeling bugs might be around...

So my landlord who seems very helpful and efficient arranged for an exterminator to come tomorrow who said he could take care of the issue.

How effective are exterminators for getting rid of ants? I have only self remedied in the past, so I don't know how exterminators would work.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Never had this sort of problem in my house, but I have seen an exterminator taking care of an ants problem at a house or two. He or she will first figure where the ants are coming through the wall, and the path or direction the ants are moving across the floor, or wall. The final step is spraying. He told me that the stuff is very poisonous, and the ants end-up tracking the poison to the place they queen is at. Also, he told the owners not to touch the stuff he was spraying, nor to have any pets or children in the home for a day or so. A day or two later he came back to clean all traces of the poison.

I guess it worked since the ants didn't come back.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Depends entirely upon the exterminator. Get his name and comment how you like to give positive feedback on workmen. Then give him an opportunity to go back to the truck.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times
Ants are generally pretty easy to control inside. I've sprayed several places around the outside of my home and watched the bodies pile up as they crossed the spray line. I had them going up my gutter, and I was afraid they would get into my house. I sprayed the gutter in several places, and they were gone in a day.
From my experience of having my house sprayed a couple of times each year, it seems like spiders are the hardest to control. Spiders that don't drag their body along the ground simply walk over the treatment. That's why a lot of bug sprays won't guarantee against certain kinds of spiders like brown recluse, wolf spiders, and black widows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House