Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Sorry John, but I just don't see the value in it when in an inexpensive neighborhood. Personally, I like the laminate, and my big 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback won't scratch it when he runs around like a nut. Too me, this is like saying solid sawn lumber is superior to manufactured TJI joists.

I can tell you that this holds up much better from heavy dogs and their nails. I have seen wood floors scratched almost beyond repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Love it! Looks great.... There are some really nice laminated floor out there these days...

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Pretty color on the walls!

You've had a busy week - thanks so much for taking the time to post all of the in-process pictures, it's really helpful and inspiring to those of us who are dragging our feet at our own DIY projects.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Sorry John, but I just don't see the value in it when in an inexpensive neighborhood. Personally, I like the laminate, and my big 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback won't scratch it when he runs around like a nut. Too me, this is like saying solid sawn lumber is superior to manufactured TJI joists.
Laminate is the best flooring for dogs. I was sold years ago while I was in the vet's waiting room and watched all of the dogs digging their claws into the floor trying to get to each other while their owners held onto tightly to their leashes.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
thanks so much for taking the time to post all of the in-process pictures, it's really helpful and inspiring to those of us who are dragging our feet at our own DIY projects.
I wonder if my husband will become inspired.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
MrWillys, the floor is beautiful. My best friend has laminate flooring in her condo and I always assumed it was hardwood -- I can't always tell the difference just by looking. What brand/finish is that?

You've been working so hard, I hope you enjoy your date night tonight.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:

I got the big room done, so all I have left is the hallway. I'm really tired and should slow down, but it's just not my nature. Now I know why I never sat home in 33 years.
Thanks for the reply. Valid consideration on the dog. One I never considered.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Awesome job

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Looking good!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:50 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Day 9

What have I learned tech wise? Pergo is wrong about being 4 7/8" wide. I had planned in advance to have close to equal margins in the hallway starting at the front door. When I got to the hallway last night I knew something was up. After stewing on it all night I learned this morning that it grows by 1/2" every 10 boards. Oh well, beyond my control, so I gotta go with it.

Okay, facing your work this system works right to left with the female toward you, and male away. I actually ran this material transverse (width) rather than longitudinal (length) which goes against the common install. I did it so it would line up with other rooms, and I thought the hallway might be easier.

Here I am snaping a line, so I can start at the opposite end of the hall, and back of closet. usually I would use blue chalk in a finish application, because of red dye.

My first row in the hall was tough going getting everything under door jambs and casings.

The little closet I worked out of.

Glad to be done, so I can watch football.

I used a different material than the other rooms, and glad I made the change. Note: Door transitions are directly under doors when closed, so each room's floor is not visible once door is shut.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House