Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,580 times

Advertisements

yes another water heater replacement topic... with a twist. I can go with three different styles because of how the state rates efficiency in accordance with its rebate program. Read on please:

Short story... converting oil to nat gas. existing electric water heater.

Electric:
Just leave my current electric heater in. Saves me nice little up front cost but costs more monthly. Bonus is if we ever go solar in a few years this becomes free?
Gas tank: Best balance of monthly costs and install?
Gas Tankless: Largest up front. Probably the cheapest each month... some downsides associated with tankess

More detail...
Here's the twist, the state rebates are up to $5000 based on energy efficiency improvements. When the numbers came back from calculations...

Our current Electric water heater was ranked much higher than gas, and just below tankless!!
The installer explained that the program is about energy efficiency and not necessarily the cost of the fuel. So even tho with the North East cheap gas prices (shale!) and basically knowing the costs to run gas will be much cheaper, the state says electric is more efficient and qualifies higher

the good news is.. all three options put me in the golden range of 5k rebate (the heat pump really did the trick). The gas waterheater tank version JUST makes it over the number required.

So I sit with THREE options...

I thought this was an easy "get rid of electric it cost more" but then the state surprised me, and the installer threw the solar/wind idea out there.

happy problem to have

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
tankless gas
recirculation loop

Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM

359 posts, read 1,099,369 times
im sorry dave........... but a tankless or tank water heater with a recircutation loop is a wast of energy. and I don't like tankless.just my 2cents. im just an old gasman that works on all that crap.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Our current Electric water heater was ranked much higher than gas, and just below tankless!!
These are the costs for heating the water electric vs. gas:

Electric -- @$0.12kWh -- 100%efficiency -- $35.17 per million BTU

NatGas -- @$12/1000cu.foot -- 90% efficiency -- $12.93 per million BTU

There may be differences in the tank ratings themselves based on how well they maintain heat but if you're tank is located in an area that you want some heat that is largely irrelevant.

Quote:
The installer explained that the program is about energy efficiency and not necessarily the cost of the fuel.
Go ask your legislator why the total efficiency cradle to grave is not considered. Electric may be 100% efficient at the point of use but it's ridiculously inefficient to get that energy to you. Just another great example of brain dead government pandering to an industry.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Go ask your legislator why the total efficiency cradle to grave is not considered. Electric may be 100% efficient at the point of use but it's ridiculously inefficient to get that energy to you. Just another great example of brain dead government pandering to an industry.
thank you for the cost ratio information

I am looking at the documentation for the program (New jersey)... and something doesnt make sense.
Electric really isn't listed under Hot Water heaters... and maybe that's the true scenario? by keeping my current HWH it doesn't get applied to the calcs used for the new equipment purchase? Just a guess. Nah... that cant be it.

In the end, its not really a concern for me as we are definitely going gas

Old 01-13-2014, 02:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
I have electric tankless (gas isn't an option) and the system is pretty good. The hot water is (seemingly) limitless although it does take an extra 10-20 seconds to get hot water as compared to a standard W/H.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
I would probably say the best balance between purchase vs. operating cost would be a natural gas tank water heater with an energy factor of at least 0.62. Unless if you are going with a heat pump model, electric will never be more efficient than gas since the efficiency in generating that electricity is far lower than that of a natural gas water heater.

Also, as an important thing to keep in mind: avoid all units sold at big-box stores, especially the Whirlpool units sold at Lowes. Their quality is horrible compared to units sold via plumbers. My top pick of brand is Bradford White. In addition, don't assume the big-box store units will always cost less to buy; get several quotes from various plumbers and make a decision yourself.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
Tankless is really only worth the extra money (up front cost) if you have a high demand for hot water, such as a large family that showers at the same time.
Tankless water heaters need larger gas lines to handle the higher load, so most installations will have a higher installation cost.
Gas water heaters typically have a faster recovery rate than electric.

A lot depends on your use and demand, and utility costs.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!

Even with the operating cost being lower with electric...

The installer is recommending we stay with our electric WH now, with him running a gas supply like close by if we convert later.

His logic:
- the electric is a newer Bradford-White, and as electric units go its at higher efficiency
- yes operating costs are higher on electric, but just 3 people in house so not brewing a ton of new hw
- his main deciding factor.. if we really do pursue solar/wind in a year or two the electric HW operating costs go to zero. (not to say we couldnt switch back from gas at that time)

And keeping the electric we arent stopped from switching it to gas later. (although i think high efficiency gas need external ventilation)

To make me feel comfortable... i am going back to thecoalman's numbers he provided to determine a close operating cost difference.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Default $300/year electric bill, just for the hot water circuit (1700kWh/year)

I have electric hot water and electric clothes dryer (and range, oven, etc). I have a separate meter for the water heater, pay $20-$30 month for electricity to run it, of which about half goes to standby loss (keeping the tank hot even if I use zero hot water).

My 10-year-old electric tank heater won't last much longer, so I'm considering switching to gas tankless, have a propane tank dropped off and a short 1" line run (bigger than needed, so I can eventually convert the clothes dryer, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Tankless is really only worth the extra money (up front cost) if you have a high demand for hot water, such as a large family that showers at the same time. Tankless water heaters need larger gas lines to handle the higher load, so most installations will have a higher installation cost. Gas water heaters typically have a faster recovery rate than electric. A lot depends on your use and demand, and utility costs.
Funny, I'm looking at propane-fired tankless because I have a low demand for hot water, and can't get city natural gas. Installation costs will be about the same for me with either propane-traditional or propane-tankless, since either way I need a propane tank, gas piping, exhaust, etc.

Last year I paid just under $300 for electricity (1700kWH total) just for the hot water circuit, of which nearly half went to standby loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House