U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,725,872 times

Advertisements

I'm having a problem with the toilet in our powder room. The tank is not filling and I don't know why. I'm unfamiliar with this style of toilet and don't know how to troublshoot it. I've attached to pictures.

When flushed, the water flows fine in the little tube that goes to the overflow pipe, which fills the toilet bowl. But no water refills the tank.

The blue float device works fine. If I fill the tank with the little tube (which is what I have done here) when full the water cuts off as it's supposed to.

I can't figure out where exactly the water is meant to be coming from to fill the tank. I suspect it's supposed to be coming from the fixture under the blue float - where the supply line attaches on the outside of the tank - but I'm not sure if that's correct and - if it is correct - what needs to be fixed!

To be clear, water is flowing fine to the bowl, but not the tank, so the supply line is clearly working.

Any help?

Last edited by kab0906; 02-18-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,234,054 times
Replace the fill valve with something like this.

Korky Brand Toilet Tank Repair Products

10-15 minutes fix. One could probably try to diagnose the issue with the current fill setup but not worth the time.

This explains the working part of the toilet tank.

http://www.korky.com/anatomy.html

Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 PM

6,067 posts, read 7,774,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
When flushed, the water flows fine in the little tube that goes to the overflow pipe, which fills the toilet bowl. But no water refills the tank.
The little tube is supposed to fill the tank and can go anywhere except into the overflow pipe. The bowl will fill from the water in the tank when you flush.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The little tube is supposed to fill the tank and can go anywhere except into the overflow pipe. The bowl will fill from the water in the tank when you flush.
But if I connect the tube on the outside and it fills the tank - which makes a mess because water splashes everywhere - then the bowl doesn't fill with water at all.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:05 PM

See from this image the little tube does go into the overflow.

Source: Toilet-Repairs.com: How to Fix Toilet Flushing Problems

Last edited by kab0906; 02-18-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Replace the fill valve with something like this.

10-15 minutes fix. One could probably try to diagnose the issue with the current fill setup but not worth the time.

This explains the working part of the toilet tank.

Thank you. I see a trip to Lowes in my near future.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
See from this image the little tube does go into the overflow.

Source: Toilet-Repairs.com: How to Fix Toilet Flushing Problems
yes.. That's typically where the fill tub goes. Not sure why the other poster suggested not filling the into the overflow tube. It is suggested the the fill tube doesn't go too deep into the overflow tube (that's why they usually have the metal clip or cap that holds the fill tube).

Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
yes.. That's typically where the fill tub goes. Not sure why the other poster suggested not filling the into the overflow tube. It is suggested the the fill tube doesn't go too deep into the overflow tube (that's why they usually have the metal clip or cap that holds the fill tube).
Yep mine has a plastic clip.

I still don't get where the water comes from that fills the tank, tho.

But if you think replacing that part fixes it then I'll get one tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yep mine has a plastic clip.

I still don't get where the water comes from that fills the tank, tho.

But if you think replacing that part fixes it then I'll get one tomorrow.

Thanks!

If you look at this link.

Your water line is connected to the bottom of the fill valve. Turn off the water before disconnecting the fill valve. There should be a water shut off valve at the other end of this line. Make sure your tank is almost empty as well. Do a flush and get the rest of the water out using a towl.

The fill valve contains a float valve. This is the part the turn on/off the water. At on position, water comes out from the small fill tube. When water reaches a certain level, the float valve turns off the water. The fill valve height needs to be adjusted so water stop at the water line.

It's really not that complicated.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM

6,067 posts, read 7,774,620 times
Quote:
yes.. That's typically where the fill tub goes. Not sure why the other poster suggested not filling the into the overflow tube.
Because on my older toilet, the fill tube isn't going into the overflow tube and because I think I recall the other various older toilets with which I've dealt being the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House