Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

I have a set of Samsung front load washer and dryer. Love them.

The front load washer uses much less water. Pretreating is fine. When the front loader spins it takes out so much more water the drying time is cut by 15-30 minutes, depending on what you're drying. That really cuts the expense, because the dryer is the energy sucker.

The only negative issues of my front load washer are once the door is locked you cannot add anything else, unlike a top loader where you can toss something in 5 minutes into the cycle - and you can't just spin something, like if you had a bunch of wet stuff you just wanted to spin dry. A top loader you can jump right to a spin cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 AM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times
I am overwhelmed by the HE vs non HE and top/vs front load debate. I don't think I want the HE stuff or front load.

What's are some good brand for non-HE top load which is still energy star or CEE qualified?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 AM

120 posts, read 309,512 times
I recommend Speed Queen. They are a no-frills design, no electronic board to break and have metal parts. Made in the USA.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
you know I bought a used set of front loaders both from maytag off of craigslist and have never had an issue except the fact once the door locks I cant add anything . They have worked like a charm and I think I aced it at 300 for both . Look at craigslist if you dont want to spend a pant load of money for new ones.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I went with a top loading machine because I just didn't want to deal with the odor problems often associated with front loaders. Mine is an LG HE washer, but Whirlpool makes a good basic washer and dryer that got good reviews. Definitely check out the 10% coupon you can get at the post office for Lowes.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Just bought new washer & dryer for house this past summer. After reading multiple reviews, it appeared that price did not dictate quality and that front load washers were consistently getting negative feedback.

I ended up buying possibly the cheapest or next to the cheapest model of Amana from Best Buy, and while I need to double check this, I either paid 299.00 for the set or 399.00. I am really thinking that was 299.00.

Washer is a top load, and washes well/the spin cycle is incredible and the clothes are very dry when I put them in the dryer. I've always heard that as an argument for the front loaders but apparently, spinners in all machines today are more effective at spinning the moisture out of clothes, top or front load. The nice thing is that while the top locks, there is a mechanism to pause the machine and unlock which has been helpful.

The dryer has done a good job. No digital on either the washer or dryer; just knobs which I wanted so there was less to go wrong. They also both have the basics but that covers everything I need.

I ruled out any stacking options early on because of the cost, reviews and the realization that except for one model, I was too short to easily reach/see the upper machine mechanisms. I had never thought of that until one salesman did point that out.

Best gave me free delivery, which may have been because I also bought some other appliances but it's worth negotiating with them. That really applies with most all the stores but I would always ask for free delivery regardless of the number of appliances. Always worth a try.

I checked all the major suppliers in town, i.e. Lowes, Home Depot, HH Gregg, Sears..............everyone would match everyone else's best price & when I mentioned I could get the extra percentage off with a Lowes coupon, etc, they would also match that option.

Initially, I bought everything from Lowes,: 2 frigs, freezer, washer /dryer and lots of building supplies but the inability on their part to deliver the right product on repeated occasions resulted in having all the appliances picked up and returned. I used Best Buy instead which was uneventful, and they even took another 10% additional off the total set price because the dryer had a small ding in the front.

Don't know how you feel about extended warranties, but you will get a hard sell on them at every place you venture into. I don't do extended warranties so if you are in that camp, make it clear up front to eliminate excess chatter.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Having made up your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
I don't think I want the HE stuff or front load.
Shop Maytag Centennial 3.6-cu ft Top-Load Washer (White) at Lowes.com
buy the matching dryer
buy delivery and installation
do not buy extended warranty

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Be a smarter shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
New home owners and need to buy...
You should subscribe to Consumer Reports Online
Money well spent

Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 AM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times
I noticed that those that don't don't have EE star rating, the Kwh per year number was huge. Like the Amana model said like 470Kwh/hr while some others say like 150 Kwh/hr. Is that all BS or does it make a big difference in electricity cost?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM

175 posts, read 260,916 times
personaly I would not buy from Sears. They are a pain in the butt to get parts for. And with the possibility that they may go under is another reason I wouldn't buy there. I have an HE LG front load. Ive had it for a couple years. I keep the door open when not in use. I wish I could go back to the standard top load with an agitater. It takes 2.5 hours to do a large hot water load. 1 hour for a standard load and it has to be a fairly small load or the clothes don't get clean. I usually have to wash them twice. We are in our 50s so we are not getting dirty like we used to. Socks don't smell clean. My husband dribbled some pizza grease on his shirt and I had to wash it 3 times with the third time finally pre-treating it. I don't like the scents that HE detergents are available in. I use Gain and I like the Island fresh one. Use VERY little fabric softner cause that's what causes buildup in the drum. VERY IMPORTANT to use Affresh once a month. I dont think they are very energy efficiant when you look at the big picture. I can fit a queen comforter in mine but I have to wash it twice because it doesn't get completely wet the first go around. These front loaders just don't use enough water to get the job done. Also I would get the pedastal if possible. My mom doesn't have one and when I help her do her laundry I have a really hard time bending over to get the clothes out. She also has a front loader. If your young it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House