Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I did a dealer search for Speed Queen and the closest dealer is THE most expensive appliance place around with no website. What do these normally go for?
Speed Queen Washers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I've never had an issue with leaking or smell from my front load washer. You just have to remember to let it air dry after your last load. I always put a tea towel over the opening and let the door close most of the way. The tea towel keeps it from totally closing and soaks up any last bit of water. People have trouble when they don't let it air dry. Top loaders don't have this issue because their tops aren't sealed.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I have my first frontloader and I love it. Not only does it use less water, it takes less time to wash and to dry so it speeds up the entire process and uses less electricity in the process.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Thanks! That's about what I was figuring. I don't think I'd do Maytag again, unfortunately. I think I'd be lucky to get 10 years.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
I recommend Speed Queen. They are a no-frills design, no electronic board to break and have metal parts. Made in the USA.

Big ditto just bought a Speed Queen Washer and Dryer last week. Metal parts PLUS 3 year Warranty. The lid does not lock you out either. I wanted a basic machine with no gongs and whistles and even fewer electronic parts to fail!!!! Happy as a clam.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM

459 posts, read 619,714 times
No one has mentioned that a gas dryer is considerably less expensive to run, although they do cost a bit more up front.
We have an LG front loader, Wife hates it for no good reason and I love the economy of it.
We stopped using HE washing liquid and it has made no difference at all.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I've never had an issue with leaking or smell from my front load washer. You just have to remember to let it air dry after your last load. I always put a tea towel over the opening and let the door close most of the way. The tea towel keeps it from totally closing and soaks up any last bit of water. People have trouble when they don't let it air dry. Top loaders don't have this issue because their tops aren't sealed.
This! I just leave the door cracked all the time. You can also use bleach when you do a load of whites, this will eliminate an odor problem if one does develop. I've never had any odor problems with front loaders though. There are so many advantages to front load washers over top load. I've had a Whirlpool Duet(now in one of my rentals) and Bosch and they've both been great.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
I am overwhelmed by the HE vs non HE and top/vs front load debate. I don't think I want the HE stuff or front load.

What's are some good brand for non-HE top load which is still energy star or CEE qualified?
Speed Queen, made in the USA
Mine has the agitator. It's a good ole fashioned washing machine with simple controls
I bought from a local ma & pa shop.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Had one of those washer front end loader which used ``He`` high concentrated soap and the machine failed to drain the soap through the drain pipe out of the house and the pipe just plugged up with soap with less water to flush it down the pipe ...... And even pipe cleaner fluids was only a one day fix ..... lucky that the house was a rental and we moved out , and the front end loader went in the trash

Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
No one has mentioned that a gas dryer is considerably less expensive to run, although they do cost a bit more up front.
We have an LG front loader, Wife hates it for no good reason and I love the economy of it.
We stopped using HE washing liquid and it has made no difference at all.
alot of homes dont have gas hookups for dryers like that and it is so hard to re sell a gas dryer because of that issue . I once went to look at an apt and she told me I had to have a gas dryer and I was like wow that is a first for me and my husband brought up the issue about not being able to re sell it because of it being gas . So this is the bad part about the gas dryer however I do agree with you about them being efficient on energy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House