Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM

63 posts, read 73,502 times

Advertisements

So we've now had the plumber out 3x this month to unfreeze our kitchen and laundry sinks - yay. Plan is to now dribble the water until things warm up in, say, a week. Obviously we want to get to the bottom of WHY the pipes are freezing - the sinks are on exterior walls, so that seems likely. Who can we get to come in and asses the situation and add insulation or what have you? The plumber didn't think it was him, as it'd involve either removing siding from the outside or cutting into the back of the cabinets to get at the pipes. It'd also be nice if said person could tell us if the water pipes run under the slab or if they come through the attic!

Any idea on what sort of person to start calling? A contractor? A not-big-chain plumber?

Thanks!

Jenn, in very not troptical Eastern MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I would call a general contractor if I were you.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I also would wait until spring...it will cost less.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Pay someone to wrap the pipes with the electrical heating tape. Solved my problems when I lived in the ice and snow.

You definitely need a different plumber. Never heard of one who couldn't figure out where the pipes were lol!

Easy Heat® Freeze Free® 15ft Self-Regulating Pipe Heating System (10815) - Heat Tape & Accessories - Ace Hardware

Frost King 30 ft. Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kit-HC30 at The Home Depot

You might even be able to have them installed by Ace or Home Depot.

Running the water helps, too. Be sure and run the hot water, as it actually freezes faster than cold water. Sounds completely bizarre, I know, but is true. The hot water pipe to my washing machine would always freeze before the cold water one.

Can hot water freeze faster than cold water?

I am so glad I don't have to deal with frozen pipes anymore...

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Be sure to let the HOT water faucet (not the cold water faucet) trickle.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You've called the plumber three time this winter. Of course he's not willing to fix what's causing it. He's making money off of you calling to unfreeze your pipes. Even if he doesn't want to do drywall, etc., he definitely knows where they are freezing and the answer to where the pipes lead. He's not telling you because he makes money off of your not knowing. Thawing pipes yourself is easy to do. In the process, your will learn the way your house is built and will quickly know where the work needs to be done.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
What you "had" was a worthless plumber-
Get one who knows how to care for you AND your pipes.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Be sure to let the HOT water faucet (not the cold water faucet) trickle.
Water HAS TO MOVE in both hot and cold water pipes to no freeze. Especially at service ends that are buried in an exterior wall.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Call a different plumber. Insulating water pipes is in a plumber's job description. lol

You may also need a carpenter to cut out and replace wood.

Your best bet may be to call a handyman service and go from there.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
Maybe I can shed some light.......

I'm a licensed master plumber and this is, indeed, something a competent plumber should be able to solve for you. The rub is that it may not be a simple fix.

The first thing that must be determined is where the pipes are run. In almost every area of the US which experience freezing temperatures there are codes dictating how and where water distribution pipe can be run so as to prevent freezing and ruptures due to cold temperatures. If everything is found to be OK in regard to where the pipes are run and properly insulated/protected, etc., then we have to determine why they are freezing up on you.

Is this a constant problem? Every winter? Same place every time?

I have seen a number of situations where due to some of these extreme cold snaps we've had plumbing which has never had a problem will freeze. Sometimes it's a simple fix. For example, a common cause is a crawlspace vent which is left open. Other times, particularly in older homes, insulation can deteriorate and fall apart and no longer be able to do it's job. There are numerous other potential causes.

My advice is to call a local plumber, not one of the big "flat rate" shops. Those shops tend to run their guys more like commission paid sales people. Pick someone who has been in the area long term as he will be more familiar with the conditions you are dealing with.

In the mean time, there are a few things you can do if extremely cold temperatures are expected.

As others have mentioned you can crack open the faucets. Both sides, hot and cold, for it to do any good. Let it run as a small stream, not just a drip.

Open any cabinet doors below the sink(s) to allow warm air in. If you have one particular sink that is known to be a problem, you can use a small space heater set up facing into the cabinet beneath it. Just use common sense about safety with the heater.

If you have an exposed run of pipe, in a crawl space say, which is prone to freezing, electric pipe cable (heating cable) can help. Bear in mind this cable shouldn't be used IN a wall unless approved for it. Fire danger.

Close off any attic, basement, or crawlspace vents when freezing temps are expected. You can also block them off with insulation or even cardboard to prevent drafts. Just don't forget to open them back up once the weather warms up.

Perhaps most importantly, if you plan to be out of town or away from home during the winter months, have a competent plumber drain and winterize the house. At a minimum, shut off the water where it enters the home. This can prevent a major flood if a pipe were to freeze and rupture while you're away.

Good luck, and I hope you're able to find a good plumber to get squared away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House