Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times

Advertisements

A few (not many) years ago we had a new concrete driveway, sidewalk and porch poured. Between the front of the house and the sidewalk, we have a rock garden - river rock plus a large rock with accent plants. It is right next to the sidewalk and instead of taking three or four steps to the sidewalk, the mailman/mailmen - can change depending on the day - will walk right through the rocks. This leaves footprints in the rocks and they also tend to kick rocks out onto the sidewalk as they walk. WE never walk through it; why does the mailman feel free to do it? They even did it last spring when we had plants coming up, obviously completely oblivious that they might be stepping on new plants. We are never right there to catch them doing it and say something to them. I usually work at home, but my office is removed from the from of the house so I don't hear/see the mailman. Today I was in the living room, though, and heard "crunch, crunch, crunch" but by the time I got to the door they were already gone.

My husband wants to put a short white picket fence or benches along the edge of the rock garden to keep them from walking through. I think that will take away from the look of it. I thought about a "please use the sidewalk" sign, but again that will look tacky.

I think it's ridiculous to have to even tell people not to walk through your rock garden. Isn't is common sense? We didn't spend all the time and money on landscaping for it to be a walk-through for the mailman!

When we have friends or even strangers over, THEY don't walk through the rock garden. I don't know why various mailmen would think it's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A few (not many) years ago we had a new concrete driveway, sidewalk and porch poured.
Don't know where you live but is/was a mailbox an option in all your additions?

Kidding aside, I'd just ask the mail carrier about it and state your position. They're reasonable people.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
Why have you been waiting so long? Put a note on your mailbox. Or if they come anywhere the same time daily, can you take that as break time or bring your work to the porch or front window?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Call the postmaster for your zip code. I have done that in the past, as a resident manager. Some of the postmen would get lazy about putting the flap back up that covered the top half of the mailboxes. It would be hard to close because it would get really full, so rather than fight with it, they'd just leave it wide open. Of course, tenants would complain, but I didn't have a key to the top half. Only the post office has them.

So, I'd call the postmaster and complain and it would stop for a while :-) If you don't have the direct number to your post office, you can call 1-800-ask-usps, and just ask them for the phone number to your post office/postmaster's office.

I just found the contact page for usps.com. You can also email them:

https://www.usps.com/customer-servic...er-service.htm

Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Obviously you didn't take into consideration the path of the mailman when you did your landscaping. Talking to them is useless since new people do the route regularly. Add some stepping stones through your rocks and plants where they walk and get over it.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Lay down plastic over the rock garden. Spread fresh cow manure about 6" deep.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, I'd call the postmaster and complain and it would stop for a while :-)
For a while. It's better to find a solution that doesn't require complaining. Stepping stones would be that solution. Life's too short to get all worked up over something like this.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For a while. It's better to find a solution that doesn't require complaining. Stepping stones would be that solution.
The sidewalk is three steps away....

Leave a courteous note on the mailbox. "Please don't walk through rock garden, we have plants and are concerned about rocks getting accidently kicked into the lawn. Thank you."

Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The sidewalk is three steps away....

Leave a courteous note on the mailbox. "Please don't walk through rock garden, we have plants and are concerned about rocks getting accidently kicked into the lawn. Thank you."
I guess you missed the part about the mailman changes regularly. It's not the same person every time.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
I've delivered mail for 32 years and I feel for you, luzianne.

We are taught to take the shortest route to the mailbox; that's what they are looking for when they get to your house.

I have never understood carriers who knowingly trample all over people's property, especially those who take joy in it for some reason.

It's possible they don't realize what they're doing because they're so focused on getting done on time.

That being said, the folks that don't care are the minority. It's possible you don't even have a regular carrier. How long has this been going on?

On my route, I have notes about various deliveries. When I first got the route, I got aggravated at the previous carrier's notes, like don't drive on the grass.

Well, the people can't move the mailbox due to HOA restrictions. They can't put pavers there due to drainage/code restrictions. So I don't drive on the grass.

I would call the PO and explain the situation. The worst that can happen is that you're the witch who doesn't want the carrier walking on the rocks.

So what! There are worse things in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House