Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,646 times

Advertisements

After worrying myself over the past 3 days I figured I would put it out there ad see what someone else thinks. I live with someone else. We live in a old old farm house (1890s I believe). The owner wanted to remove some ceiling tiles that had been the since the 50s. They are the acoustic kind that have holes throughout them. I got a quick look at them when he pulled one off and the underside was brown and looked like paper or fiberboard. The topside that you would see was white and they were glued up for what thats worth, Im just trying to describe it. The guy that came in and tore all the stuff off made a bit of a mess. I guess if he thought it was asbestos he would of took a different approach but Im not sure.

After it was all done and cleaned up the idea of asbestos got in my head and wont leave. The room he had redone had the washer in it and Ive been worried about the idea of that stuff being broken and falling into the washer and using it on our clothes.

I dont have any pieces here to test otherwise I would. I just dont know. Could there be asbestos in paperlooking board thats is brown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 AM

37,035 posts, read 41,961,954 times
What EXACTLY are you worried might happen?

Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 AM

Im not really sure to be honest. The thought if it falling in/on our washer and then using the washer to wash our clothes has me a bit worried. Having it linger around the house is a bit off putting too. I know the stuffs not good for you. I wish I would of thought to have him test it before it got torn down.

I did some reading around here and I saw a guy saying that the tile with a brown board innards was not asbestos so I just might have to go with that.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
There's no asbestos-

Those old acoustic tiles were made from wood fiber. They were sold as a way to increase the thermal efficiency of your house-BS! And they would hide cracks in the plaster&lath ceilings- OK, I'll giv'm that one.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 AM

4,613 posts, read 12,211,997 times
Asbestos was used in stick up, and lay in ceiling tiles for many years, and the adhesive too! However, asbestos only presents a problem when it is friable (airborne) and can be taken in by breathing. As long as it's gone, and the mess is cleaned up you should be okay. A single exposure in ones life is very unlikely to create irreparable harm. Most problems caused by asbestos's are due to long term exposure.

Asbestos ceiling tiles: How to recognize ceiling tiles that may contain asbestos - Asbestos Visual Identification in buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods -

Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,204,372 times
There is probably asbestos in the tiles. I know its in the glue. Whenever we go on some of the big jobs the abatement is usually due to the ceiling and floor tiles and the glue that secured them
Most homeowners simply just throw some drywall over the tiles encasing them.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Ok well I just realized there are some broken chunks of it in the shop vac they used so Ill prob end up sending it in to get it tested and put my mind at ease. Just as I remembered it was all brown under the white top part. Very cardboardish looking.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,460,620 times
If it has a brown core (wood fiber), it is much more unlikely to contain asbestos than if it has a gray or white (mineral) core, although not all mineral core tile contains asbestos either.

Ceiling tiles with Asbestos

Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM

37,035 posts, read 41,961,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temtem2 View Post
Ok well I just realized there are some broken chunks of it in the shop vac they used so Ill prob end up sending it in to get it tested and put my mind at ease. Just as I remembered it was all brown under the white top part. Very cardboardish looking.
I'm wondering what your mind will do if it tests positive. Why not just live your life and stop worrying about asbestos monster? Nothing is going to happen to you either way. You could move, but god only knows where the asbestos monster has been before you got there....or where it is at work or any other place you frequent.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm wondering what your mind will do if it tests positive. Why not just live your life and stop worrying about asbestos monster? Nothing is going to happen to you either way. You could move, but god only knows where the asbestos monster has been before you got there....or where it is at work or any other place you frequent.

I know. I am a bit of a hypochondriac. I will get past it if it was positive but right now its just bothering me. I wouldnt mine it so much but the room that was done had the washer and house vac in it, and those things get used all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House