Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM

31 posts, read 59,171 times

Advertisements

Absolutely Fab !! I love the way you painted the cabinets they came out so nice. Everything looks great !! I dint get a chance to read all the pages to see how long it took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Looks great, and nice craftsmanship. You guys are just getting it all done. It seems I always have one thing I don't finish, like putty the nail heads. Will do it, but just haven't yet.

Great tip about painting both sides of the frame for the mirror. I've seen it not done and you can see the bare wood in the mirror.
There's still plenty left to do! The punch list is always the hardest part in some ways - like all those 'oops' areas on the ceiling where I got a bit too aggressive with the roller when painting the walls. We just put the first coat of primer on those spots but since it's such a dark paint, I'll have to prime them a couple of times and then go back and touch up the ceiling paint. It's so time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsaver View Post
Absolutely Fab !! I love the way you painted the cabinets they came out so nice. Everything looks great !! I dint get a chance to read all the pages to see how long it took.
Well, the thing is, we got to a point and then it sat. And sat, sat, and sat. I lived with plywood floors for a long while! Removing all of the wallpaper, skim coating and sanding, and then priming took several weeks because we worked a bit each weekend.

We finally got around to finishing everything recently because I just couldn't stand it anymore. That was about two weeks ago. So, from where we painted the walls on, it's been two to three weeks so far. The tiling took longer than anticipated because of significant prep work required and so many cuts to make (something which is not easy at all with mosaic tile).

If I added it all up? I would say one to two months in total of primarily weekends has gone into this bathroom. Having an ice storm here - something quite rare - has given us the opportunity to do more work during the week since we've been off work.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Stunning!

We did the same frame trick in our bathroom. I just love it, don't you???

Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Wow! It all looks so great, southbel. The trim around the mirror really added class to the room. The molding around the ceiling looks beautiful. I think anyone looking to buy won't have any complaints. You guys did a beautiful job on it.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Wow! It looks fabulous! You did a wonderful job!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
More progress. Our vanity has a white cultured marble top. However, from the previous owners, it looked well used and abused. There were several scratches all over it. We decided to give restoring the top a try and if it didn't work, we would just replace it. Well, it came out even better than we imagined.

To start, we removed the old faucets and cleaned the top well. Then, using first 800 and then 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, we wet sanded out all of those scratches. This is where you may get nervous because you've removed any semblance of the shininess. However, it should feel very, very smooth to the touch when you're done with this step.

Now, it's time to polish. Stay away from the gimmicky 'shine' products and use the old fashioned methods. My husband has quite a bit of experience working with fiberglass on his boats and thus knew that to obtain that nice shiny coat, it's really a matter of polishing properly and not just the products that sit on top of the product. The next step was to polish with a compound. This takes some time. We used a marine compound but you can also use an automotive compound. We used a wool pad attached to a drill (although later changed over to his polishing machine once he found it). You need at least 2500 rpm. At first, it may not look like it's doing much but keep at it! Eventually you'll start to see the fruits of your labor. Patience is key here. Once he got a decent polish, he moved over to a synthetic pad to give is a better luster.

Finally, after the polish was obtained, we protected it. This is done with wax. We went old fashioned and used Carnauba wax. Wax as if you would a car and/or boat. Once it was all done, I was thrilled with the results. Our vanity top looks absolutely brand new. We installed the faucets and we were done!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
That turned out beautiful! I've watched a few youtube videos where people have used that polishing technique on stone. Working their way up to 2000 grit. Mostly on edges where they've cut the stone and needed to get the same sheen as the rest. Very impressive to watch the transformation. Your counter looks brand new now. Great job, southbel.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Awesome, just like buffing a car! The buffer stays with us for sure now. (Moving later this year)

Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Absolutely beautiful! I love what you've done with the whole bathroom. Great job!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 AM

252 posts, read 580,777 times
Absolutely loved it .Great job there.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Remove ad link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House