Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times

Advertisements

Southbel I have been following your project. Gorgeous job! It may have been mentioned but did you take the mirror down to frame it or add frame around? I am thinking of a Master bath remodel soon and was just going to take both large mirrors down but I like the way yours look. My current mirrors (one on either side over vanity is just about as large but at the top and bottom has a 1/2" brass lip. Any advice appreciated since you did such a great job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Southbel I have been following your project. Gorgeous job! It may have been mentioned but did you take the mirror down to frame it or add frame around? I am thinking of a Master bath remodel soon and was just going to take both large mirrors down but I like the way yours look. My current mirrors (one on either side over vanity is just about as large but at the top and bottom has a 1/2" brass lip. Any advice appreciated since you did such a great job!
I didn't take the mirror down. It's glued within an inch of it's life and would have caused quite a bit of wallboard damage. I painted both sides of the trim and put it on with mirror mastic. Important to not have too much mastic or it will show.

On your mirror, might want to check if you can break off that brass lip. If you're covering it with trim, it won't matter if it's kind of ugly when you break it off. Otherwise, you would need to rout out on the back of the trim so it can fit flush over the trim. This is, of course, assuming you do not want to remove your existing mirrors.

I've totally finished the bathroom but neglected to take pictures of the final product. I'll need to do that this weekend.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Beautiful!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I think it looks OUTSTANDING!!!! I love the chandelier. The tile is very similar to what we put in our guest bath-only we have the black diamonds.

Cat

Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Remind me not to read DIY threads, especially ones with photos, on my days off.

OP, you did such a good job, that this thread motivated me, too. I can't change anything...well, I probably could but it's not my place so I'm not putting the money in to it...so what I did instead was I went in to my bathroom and cleaned the ever loving snot out of it. I'm talking on the hands and knees, getting in to all the dark crevices, scrubbing, rinsing, every. square. inch of that place. The entire bathroom. All. Of it. Even dusted bottles and jars.

Tomorrow I will probably not be able to move. But dang it, my bathroom looks spectacular now. I keep getting up to go look at it, and threatening the pets that if they drop one piece of fur on that floor....

I love what you did with those cabinets, painting them black to go with the gray paint. Looks fantastic. And the mirror being framed makes it all come together. Coincidentally, my landlord painted the bathroom here a gray color, as well. I really like it. It looks great in real life, those photos don't do that color justice, I'm sure.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Remind me not to read DIY threads, especially ones with photos, on my days off.

OP, you did such a good job, that this thread motivated me, too. I can't change anything...well, I probably could but it's not my place so I'm not putting the money in to it...so what I did instead was I went in to my bathroom and cleaned the ever loving snot out of it. I'm talking on the hands and knees, getting in to all the dark crevices, scrubbing, rinsing, every. square. inch of that place. The entire bathroom. All. Of it. Even dusted bottles and jars.

Tomorrow I will probably not be able to move. But dang it, my bathroom looks spectacular now. I keep getting up to go look at it, and threatening the pets that if they drop one piece of fur on that floor....

I love what you did with those cabinets, painting them black to go with the gray paint. Looks fantastic. And the mirror being framed makes it all come together. Coincidentally, my landlord painted the bathroom here a gray color, as well. I really like it. It looks great in real life, those photos don't do that color justice, I'm sure.
Thanks. Yeah, I get that way too when I read DIY stuff. My husband doesn't thank me for it! The color on the walls is a bit of a blue color with the gray undertone. I did this because my bedroom is blue and cream. I still need to get the updated photos up which includes the painting my daughter made at my request.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,217 times
This is not good idea of bathroom attachment with room. It always must be separated. If bathroom is attached to room then bathroom door must be open outside the room not in room.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I dislike toilets being off in their own room.

I see two sets of double doors - closet and laundry???
I for one like a private toilet room.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LOl..Going on 32 years of marriage I've never gone in front my hubby, sure he has whip it out done his male thing in front of me but I'm just to shy was raised in a household of 5 sisters, we shared a one bathroom for years, so bathroom time was private time! .......So yeah it's off limits, I don't share.. .. Beside hubby seen enough of my undercarriage during the deliver of our four kids to last him one life time...LOL
To us it is not a vanity issue. We sleep in the nude and see plenty of each other at other times.....LOL.

We do consider toilet time to be private time. About the only think we have done together in the bathroom is brush our teeth or showered/jacuzzi together.

The poster did a great job. It looks fantastic. As said, I would want a toilet room door and while I do not care for a chandelier over the tub and I think she could have done better on a choice of one.

Awesome job. You all did great.

Last edited by johngolf; 05-03-2014 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 11:08 AM

335 posts, read 619,696 times
What a great transformation! It's giving me ideas for our bath...

In the house we bought, every bathroom was upgraded except for the "jack & jill" - it still had 2x2 ceramic white glossy tile, peeling paint on the cabinets, builder grade mirror, hideous lighting. It's probably the least used room in the house, but...

We are doing a kitchen remodel and we figured since we had enough granite left over from the slab for our kitchen counters, we would have the leftover used to replace the counter in the bath. Wait - that means replacing/redoing the cabinets too. So I guess we'll be starting a project we had no intention of doing for awhile - just because we already have the granite.

Seeing your pics of framing the mirror has totally inspired me! Please keep the updates coming, I want to see how it all ends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House