Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times

Advertisements

My fireplace has a metal duct inside the wall with two vents above the fireplace, two below. I want to put in a fan in either the tops or bottoms that will help push the warm air out a bit when I have a good fire going.

Im not sure what strength of fan I should go with. Something like THIS which is 105 cfm, or perhaps one that with a little less air flow. I dont want it to be too much where it would essentially cool the warm air but just enough to move it out a bit better to make it more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Looks like this:

That's actually the fireplace we have prior to renovation ,the wallpaper was the first thing to go. The ducts work fantastic on their own. I know on ours the top grate gets hot enough it's uncomfortable to hold your hand on it.

The way these work is there is cavity behind the fireplace, the air is naturally pulled through the bottom grate and circulated through the cavity warming the air and it's expelled out the top. If you do put a fan in either push the air into the bottom grate or blow it out of the top grate.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Convection works just fine without assistance. Besides, the "so-called additional heat" you think you're getting probably doesn't cost as much as the electricity you're using to run the fan(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House