Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM

162 posts, read 153,627 times

Advertisements

I just moved out of home for the first time and I'm looking to wall mount a TV that I have along with an entertainment center that is supposed to look exactly like this: http://i59.tinypic.com/35krk05.jpg
I don't want any wires to show at all and I have no clue how this is supposed to be done or what I'm supposed to purchase aside from the mounts.

What item(s) should I be looking to buy? How do people set this up so the wires to your entertainment appliances don't show? What items do I need to purchase before I can wall mount something? I am completely inexperienced at this. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
If you look carefully at that picture you'll see a white rectangular conduit beneath the TV. The wires are run through there.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Are you renting?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If you look carefully at that picture you'll see a white rectangular conduit beneath the TV. The wires are run through there.
It's an IKEA display-

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
If you're renting you'll need permission. And if so then it may become an issue when moving as it would be considered a permanent fixture unless the landlord gives you permission to remove it.
If you want to hide the wiring(s) you could knock a hole in the wall behind the middle of the TV and drop the wire(s) down between the studs, then another hole near the baseboard to fish the wires out to the ac or accessories. If you do then make a nice clean round hole that can be easily patched or plugged if you leave and take the TV with you.

How to Mount a Flat-Screen TV to the Wall For Dummies - YouTube

Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM

Oh, I should've added that I have complete freedom to do this. Where can I buy something like that conduit in the photo I've attached?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you're renting you'll need permission. And if so then it may become an issue when moving as it would be considered a permanent fixture unless the landlord gives you permission to remove it.
If you want to hide the wiring(s) you could knock a hole in the wall behind the middle of the TV and drop the wire(s) down between the studs, then another hole near the baseboard to fish the wires out to the ac or accessories. If you do then make a nice clean round hole that can be easily patched or plugged if you leave and take the TV with you.
Going to watch this video in a second. Thanks for posting. What are "studs" and what "ac"? Is there a certain preferred tool that one should use to put a hole in the wall behind the center of the TV?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Where can I buy something like that conduit in the photo I've attached?

Just look for "wire raceway".

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Going to watch this video in a second. Thanks for posting. What are "studs" and what "ac"? Is there a certain preferred tool that one should use to put a hole in the wall behind the center of the TV?
Do you have any friends that can maybe help you with this? I'm concerned that someone that wants to drill into a wall doesn't know what studs are. Studs are the wood framing that are used to build the wall.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do you have any friends that can maybe help you with this? I'm concerned that someone that wants to drill into a wall doesn't know what studs are. Studs are the wood framing that are used to build the wall.
None of my friends are handymen. My brother in law is though. I figured that I have got to learn this stuff somehow..You have to start from somewhere right? My brother in law is traveling this weekend (and is bringing all of his tools) specifically to help me do this and setup whatever else I don't know how to do.

However, at the very least I wanted to know what I needed to purchase so he can get right to work. My guess is I could go to home depot later today and get all of the required items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House