U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,520,065 times
Default help! furnace won't shut off

the air keeps blowing 24/7. when the house needs to heat up, it blows hot air like it should, but instead of shutting down at the end of the heat cycle, it just keeps going (blowing cool air). once upon a time it just started doing this on its own; it happened all last winter for instance.

i replaced the electronic thermostat yesterday and it worked as it should for one day. now its back! what could be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,095,033 times
Probably one of the relay switches. You will have to get a pro to check those out.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM

1,374 posts, read 5,002,888 times
It's another thermostat that's internal to the furnace that controls the blower motor. Your wall thermostat turns the heat part on/off. The other unit in the furnace controls the blower and is suppose to turn it off when the plenium chamber temp drops below a set point (end of heating cycle). It has failed.

It's not an expensive part and it's a 1/2 hr job but it's doubtful you have access to repair parts or the electriclal background to fix it yourself.

call your service company....in the mean time console yourself with the fact that it could be a lot worse...it could fail in the mode where the blower never comes on....thatwould mean NO heat...

Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 90,459 times
Look at your T-stat make the fan swith is not "ON" it should be set to "auto" to operate the way you want. OOPS my bad, I didnt see you replaced the stat already. See JBrown above.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 52,619 times
My electric furnace won't shut off once it has reached the temp selected on the thermostat. It is set on heat & auto. But it just continues to blow hot air.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 PM

27,211 posts, read 20,216,772 times
Check and make sure if you turn the t-stat down that it shuts off or doesn't. If it's digital go through the setup mode and make sure it's setup correctly. the manuals should be available online.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 47,205 times
My Electric furnace will not shut off. It just keeps blowing heat.
I have completely disconnected the thermostat and the furnace still keeps running.
I have to shut off the breaker for the furnace to shut off.
When switch the breaker back on, the heater will work properly for a short time and then do it again.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPetredis View Post
My Electric furnace will not shut off. It just keeps blowing heat.
I have completely disconnected the thermostat and the furnace still keeps running.
I have to shut off the breaker for the furnace to shut off.
When switch the breaker back on, the heater will work properly for a short time and then do it again.

Call a service person NOW. Put down the computer and pick up the phone. You are wasting money and may have an overheating situation developing.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 46,080 times
i have an old gas fernace and it wont stop running when i turn off the thermostat its not blowing any air but i can hear the rummbling! Is this dangerious ? I dont want the house to blow up! I cant find any switch on it and dont know where else to look for one on it?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 AM

17,192 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.prendez View Post
i have an old gas fernace...

I cant find any switch on it and dont know where else to look for one on it?
Call the gas (or repair) company and ask for service to check your equipment
and explain to you how it works and what noises are "normal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House