Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,168,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Kathryn is a wonderful poster... and I agree with most of what she has to say on this topic.
Great! Then you will agree on this:

Dizzybint is full of creativity and humor and is a breath of fresh air on these forums. Her perspective is unique and always pertinent!

Thank you for the kudos by the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Hey KathrynAragon, I know there's been some people here taking offense to what you've written in your postings, but want to let you know you've inspired me to keep my place neater & cleaner!

I'm single & live in a condo alone most of the time (I rent out the 2nd furnished bedroom for a few months at a time, about 2/3 of the year)-- no pets, no husband, no kids.... so I should be able to keep up with things, right? Well, I do make my bed every day (takes about 30 seconds), don't cook much & usually keep up w/ putting my dishes, etc. in the dishwasher. And my refrigerator (the original topic of this thread) is never that dirty or messy-- I keep up w/ throwing things out & when a roommate is here, keep my food products in just one-half of the fridge/freezer, it's divided up evenly so that keeps things neat. Plus I always make sure to get a roommate who doesn't cook much & rarely eats at home so they hardly ever even use the kitchen!

I'm also an organized person, everything has a place & everything is in its place (including in the closets.) I do love books & reading, so tend to have piles of books & magazines around, but that doesn't seem bad to me. Don't mind dusting & vacuuming, do that about every 10 days (hey, there's not that much mess to dust or vacuum-- no pets, no kids here!)

What I absolutely HATE doing is cleaning the kitchen & bathroom, scubbing & cleaning floors! The kitchen doesn't look too bad, but my private bathroom in my master bedroom?? It's horrible! Embarrassing how long I'll go without cleaning it, sometimes have nightmares about it! Luckily, I'm usually the only one using it! (no boyfriend and not too many visitors & they use the "guest" bathroom when no roommate here.)

I really have a strong resistance to cleaning the bathroom, but think part of the problem is it's so unpleasant because there's no windows in the bathrooms here (in the South, compared to where I lived in the Northeast, where there was always a window for ventilation in my bathrooms there.) And I find most cleaning products very irritating, their smell plus how irritating they are to my throat & skin. (There's been times I worried about passing out from the smells/fumes from certain cleansers!) OK, guess I should wear rubber gloves (and a face-mask?) when cleaning the bathroom plus find some non-irritating cleaning products? Or pay money for a cleaning service just for my bathrooms (and kitchen)??

Will have to think that over, but just wanted to say that I was inspired by KathrynAragon's postings here & this whole thread has been very thought-provoking!
Newbie, just wanted you to know that you truly made me smile with this post. Thank you so much for the positive feedback!

You say you are in the south. I wonder if you can hire a housekeeper or maid service to come in once a week or once every two weeks at at reasonable cost to deep clean your kitchen and bathrooms and floors. I have a housekeeper who comes in once a week since I had Achilles tendon surgery (long recovery time and housekeeping is hard on it) and she only charges $55 for about three hours. It might be worth it to you! I had to try two or three different services to find just the perfect fit but she's great.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The way I keep house is not at all tied with my self-esteem.
Amen to that.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Newbie, just wanted you to know that you truly made me smile with this post. Thank you so much for the positive feedback!

You say you are in the south. I wonder if you can hire a housekeeper or maid service to come in once a week or once every two weeks at at reasonable cost to deep clean your kitchen and bathrooms and floors. I have a housekeeper who comes in once a week since I had Achilles tendon surgery (long recovery time and housekeeping is hard on it) and she only charges $55 for about three hours. It might be worth it to you! I had to try two or three different services to find just the perfect fit but she's great.
What does that have to do with the ability to hire a housekeeper?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What does that have to do with the ability to hire a housekeeper?
Sorry - didn't make myself clear. Generally speaking I have found housekeeping prices to be lower in the south, corresponding with a lower cost of living overall. I am sure there are exceptions but I'm only speaking from personal experience. For instance, my housekeeper only charges $55 and she usually spends 3 hour or so really cleaning my house till it sparkles and shines. Personally I think that's a good deal and it's lower than prices I've had to pay in other parts of the country.

I have had to hire a housekeeper because of my torn Achilles tendon and the long recover time it requires (about six months). I was lucky enough to find someone whose standards match mine! She is a joy and not only does she do a great job, we've come to really enjoy each other's company and have done a few things together socially since getting to know each other.

I really appreciate her attention to detail and her professionalism and she appreciates that I'm not a snob - at least that's what she tells me!

And I am so grateful that I don't have to sit around in a house that's dirty or messy, or worry about bathrooms that need to be cleaned or sticky floors. She will even change my bedding and do laundry if I ask her to, but since I'm more mobile now, I don't ask her to do that any longer. I did at first, but I really hated asking anyone to do my laundry and change my sheets, even if I WAS paying them to do it. UGH! I hate this whole housekeeper thing, actually, because I really enjoy keeping my own house clean.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,330,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post
I'm starting group meetings at my house for people who have OCD, not because I have it, but surely one of them will be bothered enough to clean it

The Big Bang Theory S06E19 - Howard & Bernadette in there messy closet. - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM

LOL I can relate to Sheldon. I just spent four days at my mother's house. For starters, she has her entire YARD full of random fake flowers. She buys them at garage sales and resale shops and sticks them everywhere. Then inside her house, literally every picture or mirror or coffee table or whatever is crooked. I mean it - like someone opened up a doll house and threw furniture inside it! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I walked into her bathroom (after straightening both big pictures that hang in her bedroom, and placing the pillows in the center of the bed), and guess what I saw - I nearly had a heart attack. I saw her big jewelry armoire (the kind with drawers and the side doors open like wings) sitting in the MIDDLE of her bathroom floor - sideways. With the drawers facing, not out, but toward the cabinets, and the back of the armoire facing the toilet. In fact, I had to scrunch in behind it to GET to the toilet.

That was the last straw. I went into the kitchen and said, "Mom. Why is your jewelry armoire sitting in the middle of the bathroom turned sideways?" She said, "I'm just seeing if I like it that way."

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, her house will send an OCD person like me right over the edge.

I behaved myself pretty well though - I only straightened one thing right in front of her and only made one comment about the yard full of fake flowers and that wasn't to her - it was to my dad. But she overheard me. And she said, "Well. I like them but I sure don't need any more."

On that, we can agree!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Wow. It's $55 bucks to have someone come in and swish the mop around? Jeepers. To everyone who isn't OCD about dust: Stick that $55 in the bank, do it every time you'd hire someone, let it accumulate and go to Maui. Life is short. Once you're dead no one is going to care that you had super shiny floors.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. It's $55 bucks to have someone come in and swish the mop around? Jeepers. To everyone who isn't OCD about dust: Stick that $55 in the bank, let it accumulate and go to Maui. Life is short. Once you're dead no one is going to care that you had super shiny floors.
For $55 my housekeeper dusts the entire house (including all blinds), polishes all my furniture, deep cleans all surfaces of my kitchen, deep cleans all three bathrooms, does laundry, cleans all the mirrors, washes dog beds and bathroom rugs, mops all my hard surface floors, vacuums all rugs, sweeps everywhere including under all my furniture, and will even load the dishwasher if there are dishes in the sink.

I can go to Maui and still hire a housekeeper to come in every week. Meanwhile my husband and I both prefer our floors to be super shiny. But to each his own!

However, just to clarify, I only hired a housekeeper because of my injured leg. When it heals, I am sure I will be back to cleaning my own house - an activity that I enjoy and my husband appreciates (he also enjoys helping me when he's home - we're very domestic and both prefer our house to be immaculately clean and since we both have the same standards, it's just not that hard to keep it clean). That being said, my housekeeper does need the work, and when we hire her, we help support her family, so everyone wins. She appreciates us, and we appreciate her. (And we're good tippers.)

Old 04-06-2014, 04:07 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House