Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,722,952 times

Advertisements

I've been living without a kitchen sink for two weeks. Last week, we had a major accomplishment. We installed, leveled and screwed the two corner cabinets, one of which is the sink cabinet. Inspired by the prospect of having a workable kitchen in my near future, I pulled out my whip and insisted we get up early and work all day yesterday (Saturday).

Our goals for the day were crown molding and wall cabinets---to get the wall cabinets out of the way since we're walking around a maze of cabinets. We got a late start but were busy by 10am. By 6pm, my husband was calling it a night. I said, "But we haven't accomplished anything." He said, "Yes we did, we learned we don't know a thing about crown molding or how to hang wall cabinets. Now let's do something we know how to do and cook dinner."

It's that pathetic. That truly is all we accomplished yesterday in addition to buying 3" cabinet screws at Home Depot before it closed last night, so we could start the day early today. Why am I posting here instead of hanging cabinets at 9:27 AM? All I can say is the best laid plans...

Crown molding is MIND BOGGLING! I finally found a great website that explains every single detail of the process with pictures! There's a lot of half-information out there about crown molding. Once we finally figured it out, we ran out of scrap practice wood.

Onto hanging the wall cabinets. Wouldn't you know, the very first cabinet to be hung doesn't hit any studs. One side just missed a stud. This ensued a discussion and negotiation. Since the countertop extends 1/2" from the cabinet, I told my husband we could go another 1/2". He explained we needed to go an 1". After measuring the thickness of the cabinet wall, I determined he was right, and I declared that I wasn't going an 1". I wasn't having my wall cabinets further over than my base cabinets. In hindsight, this was a fantastic revelation because I want them right, not compromised via the line of the counter instead of the base cabinet.

Back to the internet to discover there are many ways to address this problem. Some are impossible. Like putting horizontal supports in during framing. Well, the drywall is already hung. Another recommended chiseling out the drywall to install horizontal supports. My husband and I decided they were insane. That inspired my husband to recommend putting the supports on the outside of the drywall, building a support frame behind the cabinets. I immediately vetoed that idea because then we'd have to beadboard the sides to hide the gap. If that wasn't enough, some cabinets are higher than others. It was just a nightmare idea. Brainstorming, we're good at.

My husband produces drywall anchors from the basement. They support 50 lbs. Do the pounds multiply with additional anchors? How much does the cabinet weigh? I get on the scale. But the cabinet will weigh more when it's loaded with dishes. I remind my husband that the websites say that securing the cabinet to the other cabinets will be good enough. My husband says he wants to do both---drywall anchors and secure to the neighboring cabinets.

Fantastic! We have a plan!

But someone mentions online that we need 3" cabinet screws. We only have 2-1/2" wood screws. When I tell hubby to run to the store to buy the screws, this is when he suggest we cook dinner. After dinner we headed out to Home Depot to the buy all of the right screws so we could get a head start in the AM.

Guess what happened this morning? The cabinet screws don't use a Phillips bit. We have the appropriate type of bit, but for some reason it doesn't fit. Maybe it's bad. Hubby's at K-mart to find a new bit that will fit these damn screws!

This really is a comedy of errors. We've got one thing going for us: We're not learning after making big mistakes. At least, so far.

Do you have any stories about what you learned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 AM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times
Default Plan ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
what you learned?
Plan ahead.
Write it down.
Move slowly.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 AM

7,222 posts, read 7,004,568 times
Hire professionals for things that matter.

Really, that's what I learned doing lots of work on this house.

Our cabinets were originally installed by a non-professional - my dad. We lived for years with gaps, uneven cabinets and areas that didn't match. It drove me mad.

When we finally decided to replace the kitchen floor we got professionals to remove the cabinets, put in a new floor and then replace the cabinets properly. Everything works - it's all even and looks so much better.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 AM

45,028 posts, read 60,039,815 times
I've always found the old adage of "Measure once, cut twice" works.

Or do I have that wrong?

Hopes, one thing I/we learned in dealing with old houses is that whatever can go wrong, will, and any time estimate should be tripled. As in replacing bathroom fixtures: "Black wire. Check. White wire. Check. Ground. Check. What the **** does this purple wire do? And what's it connected to?".

Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Move slowly.
We've mastered this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Hire professionals for things that matter.

Really, that's what I learned doing lots of work on this house.

Our cabinets were originally installed by a non-professional - my dad. We lived for years with gaps, uneven cabinets and areas that didn't match. It drove me mad.

When we finally decided to replace the kitchen floor we got professionals to remove the cabinets, put in a new floor and then replace the cabinets properly. Everything works - it's all even and looks so much better.
No worries there. We're ensuring they are level and square and perfect. That's why it's taking so long.

My husband did recommend we hire someone to do the crown molding. Like all men, he hates trim work. We'll see. I'm the eternal optimist. I believe we can tackle crown molding. I'll end up hiring someone if my cabinets remain crown-molding-less for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've always found the old adage of "Measure once, cut twice" works.

Or do I have that wrong?
Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hopes, one thing I/we learned in dealing with old houses is that whatever can go wrong, will, and any time estimate should be tripled. As in replacing bathroom fixtures: "Black wire. Check. White wire. Check. Ground. Check. What the **** does this purple wire do? And what's it connected to?".
OMG! Exactly! I'll never forget when my husband told me years ago that he had no idea where the kitchen sink drained. What?!?!?! "It goes out into the backyard somewhere..." Or the time we tore out or patio and discovered a well and a cistern. My neighbors are lucky. They still have their laundry room and swimming pool hooked up to a well.

My husband rebuilt this house over the decades. When he moved into it, the entire interior was gutted.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,809,109 times
For a novice hanging cabinets in older homes I recommend cutting 1/2" OSB the exact size of the cabinet area and gluing/screwing it to the wall first. You can screw the OSB to the studs where ever they fall. Then you can screw the cabinet to the OSB. You will have to use a shoe mould around the cabinet to cover the OSB. You might also consider screwing a 2x 4 the approximate length of the run of the cabinets to wall to sit the cabinets on while you are screwing them to the wall. This will give you a straight line to hang them on. Just set the cabinet on the 2x 4 and screw it to the wall/OSB. One person can hang wall cabinets using the ledger method. Then all you have is 2 small holes from the 2x 4 screws to patch and touch up paint. FWIW, most factory made wall cabinets are only RATED at 25lbs of load. Most folks grossly overload them.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
For a novice hanging cabinets in older homes I recommend cutting 1/2" OSB the exact size of the cabinet area and gluing/screwing it to the wall first. You can screw the OSB to the studs where ever they fall. Then you can screw the cabinet to the OSB. You will have to use a shoe mould around the cabinet to cover the OSB.
I don't want molding around the cabinets. That's why we decided against this.

Quote:
You might also consider screwing a 2x 4 the approximate length of the run of the cabinets to wall to sit the cabinets on while you are screwing them to the wall. This will give you a straight line to hang them on. Just set the cabinet on the 2x 4 and screw it to the wall/OSB. One person can hang wall cabinets using the ledger method. Then all you have is 2 small holes from the 2x 4 screws to patch and touch up paint.
We already did this. Those damn screws sure like to move the cabinets. We're getting the hang of it and corrected gaps and such. Three cabinets are up now. This is amazingly difficult, but it's getting easier. LOL

Quote:
FWIW, most factory made wall cabinets are only RATED at 25lbs of load. Most folks grossly overload them.
That's good to know. I wasn't talking about how much weight can be loaded into the cabinets. The 50 lbs was how much weight the drywall anchors claim to hold.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,234,376 times
Make sure the cases are secured to the wall studs! Do not depend on drywall anchors. You may predrill the casework with a 1/8" bit, so that you feel the screw enter the stud. Studs can found by finding the drywall fasteners with a magnet. I use a piece of paper with the magnet to not mare the finish. Uppers first, and then level and shim base prior to setting lowers.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Make sure the cases are secured to the wall studs! Do not depend on drywall anchors. You may predrill the casework with a 1/8" bit, so that you feel the screw enter the stud. Studs can found by finding the drywall fasteners with a magnet. I use a piece of paper with the magnet to not mare the finish. Uppers first, and then level and shim base prior to setting lowers.
There is one cabinet that doesn't have drywall studs. It's a tall, narrow cabinet. In addition to using drywall anchors, it's screwed to cabinets that are secured to the drywall studs. My neighbor is a carpenter. He's coming over to look at them. If he feels they need to be anchored to the stud, we may have the option of running a screw into the side of the stud. It's right next to the cabinet edge.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,234,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There is one cabinet that doesn't have drywall studs. It's a tall, narrow cabinet. In addition to using drywall anchors, it's screwed to cabinets that are secured to the drywall studs. My neighbor is a carpenter. He's coming over to look at them. If he feels they need to be anchored to the stud, we may have the option of running a screw into the side of the stud. It's right next to the cabinet edge.
Thank you for the clarification. That should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House