Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

Here's my insight: Do what you can to keep your man happy and home. And do it cheerfully. You keep him happy and he will slay all your dragons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LMAO~ I was thinking the same thing but I'm a lady...
Are you scratching your balls too?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Who are these husbands/boyfriends who care about decorating? I sure have never met one. I would LOVE to. Every time I show my significant other ideas about the place he will say "oh, that is nice." If I ask him to choose one thing or another he will just say "I have no clue. I don't care about that stuff that much. Just pick something not too frilly." When I have been successful at dragging him to furniture stores, flea markets, antique stores or art galleries he loses interest very quickly.

If he had an opinion on anything I would be thrilled. I often wish he did. I am trying to find a nice desk for him and I have gotten him as far as "I like wood." If I gave him a man cave I would have to decorate it. If he wants time away from me he goes out just like I do when I want time to myself. So no reason for any sort of cave.

And DH stands for Dear Husband.
Ummm. Why do you think he would want you anywhere near it to "decorate?" Before he met you, he had a place. It was decorated well enough for him. I am sure most men wouldn't care one way or the other about improving that decoration - except in the context of keeping the wife happy.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
It's just a place in the house (usually basement) where a man can decorate how he wants (sports posters, memoribelia...) have a huge tv with surround sound, and a comfy couch. That's all.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I really don't understand this at all. Our home is "Our" home and neither of us has "control" over all of it, part of it or none of it alone.
My husband and I share a home and we make the decisions together about our home.
There is no his room, her room, our room, it is simply our home, together, equally.
Exactly like the chores in our home, there are chores that need to be done and we do them equally.

The "my man cave" "she has the rest of the house" mentality is beyond my grasp.
Maybe the difference is we live in a Home not a house.
I would be willing to bet that in most homes, the wife decorated and the man "went along."

Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Who are these husbands/boyfriends who care about decorating? I sure have never met one. I would LOVE to. Every time I show my significant other ideas about the place he will say "oh, that is nice." If I ask him to choose one thing or another he will just say "I have no clue.
LOL... uh huh. I put some small shelves on the wall next to the pool table, me and the fellas decorate it with beer bottles.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM

508 posts, read 663,409 times
If a guy can't be "a man" should his wife chance to walk through the room when he is watching TV, he's not much of a man in my book.

The "man cave" thing is a fad. It was funny when Tim Taylor did various themes on it because it was clearly so ridiculous (remember the "man's kitchen"?). Apparently some people latched onto it as A Good Idea.

Seriously. Adults don't need special rooms to "be a man" or "be a woman". If you want a game room for your ping-pong or foosball table or pool table that's one thing. But the idea that men have to segregate the women out of their lives or they can't be "men" OUGHT to be outdated.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I really don't understand this at all. Our home is "Our" home and neither of us has "control" over all of it, part of it or none of it alone.
My husband and I share a home and we make the decisions together about our home.
There is no his room, her room, our room, it is simply our home, together, equally.
Exactly like the chores in our home, there are chores that need to be done and we do them equally.

The "my man cave" "she has the rest of the house" mentality is beyond my grasp.
Maybe the difference is we live in a Home not a house.
Of course it's "our" home.

We have a fairly large house by most standards, over 3600 sqft. Now, that's a lot of house that needs furniture, decorating, etc. I'm a car guy, so the 3 car garage is mine by default. Our house has a dedicated tiered media room and a game room. When we moved in, the first thing I did was work on "my" rooms. I painted the media room walls and ceiling a very dark gray, so there would be less light reflected from the projector, which I also installed. These are things my wife couldn't care less about.

For her part, my wife went out and bought new furniture for the formal living room. She showed me a few pieces she liked, asked what I liked, but I didn't really care. However she wants to decorate it is fine with me, because we're never in that room anyway. I've sat on the couch and chair in that room about 3 times in four years. Decorating that room is something I couldn't care less about.

We did go shopping together for a new sofa for the family room. I wanted leather, she didn't. Eventually we got a large L shaped leather sectional.

I think some of the posters are making this out to be a much bigger deal than it is. When I was growing up, the "man cave" was the garage, or the home office for my dad. It was a place he could go to relax, get away from kids, etc. Now some newer homes have just added a room inside the house for that, instead of the garage. No big deal.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You're right. I wish I were as subservient to a woman as you are.
With that kind of juvenile attitude, I doubt you'll ever have a woman.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Ummm. Why do you think he would want you anywhere near it to "decorate?" Before he met you, he had a place. It was decorated well enough for him. I am sure most men wouldn't care one way or the other about improving that decoration - except in the context of keeping the wife happy.
But many in this thread have claimed that the whole man cave idea came across when men really wanted one room they could decorate and make however they wanted. In my situation this would mean that the room would sit empty until I bought some furniture and appliances. He might pick out a tv, but he can do that in any other room in the house. So I don't buy this whole idea.

Really this concept seems to reduce men to the level of little kids. It seems really patronizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House