Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Typically when artists die, the value of their paintings go up. With Kincade, the value of the paintings plummeted.
Most weren't paintings. They are prints. Prints typically aren't known for holding value. There was so much mass produced crap with his name on it even cheap crappy house ornaments at Walmart. He didn't even paint much of the later stuff. He was a piece of work. Drunk.

My mother has quite the knack for strange gifts. A few years ago, she gave me a splatterware pan (think Little House on the Prairie) with a rooster painted on it. Oh and she painted the rooster. I don't do roosters!

She has this thing for giving me mosaic candle holders. I only use Yankee Candle jar candles so just gets me tealight holders. in. red. mosaic. There's no red anywhere in my house. These things scream old lady. Salvation Army appreciates the donation every January!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
It is a good thing most of you will never visit our home...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Thomas Kincaide.
I did an oil painting of my grandmothers house, mostly from memory
since it was demolished many years ago. And there are no photos.
I did this for my mother who loves & is lonely for her mother.
I'm not a painter. But I must confess that I used Kincade as an example
when the sunlight falls on the grass & trees in the morning. I kept it
real. Meaning I did not add flowers or things .
I wanted my mom to see it as it was. I grew up in that home. I have a
keen memory.
Now my mother can enjoy it. I love that she likes it.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 03-10-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I can't stand Thomas Kinkaid anything.

On houses, something that bothers me is when they remove a wooden column--probably rotted out--and replace it with a bizarre looking wrought iron support that isn't in keeping with the architecture and doesn't look strong enough to hold up the roof, usually a porch roof.

Of course paintings of Elvis on black velvet aren't my cup of tea either.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightattendant View Post
i once had an elderly but sweet neighbor who gifted me a hand drawn etching of a young child. This would have been a nice etching if it were not for the artist's poor rendition of the baby's eyes...they were almost possessed. Eerie. The rest of the portrait was very nicely done, but i couldnt get past these creepy eyes.

Because my neighbor had given it to me with great ceremony (clearly, she thought it was a work of art), i hung it in an upstairs bedroom. When my 20 something kids came next time they howled..kept asking me why i d hung "dead baby". We still laugh about it...i tell them i will will it to one of them, which ever one ticks me off most lol. That portrait is no long hung in my home, but i still have it in a closet. I am thinking of sending it to one of them for christmas and see if he then sends it to his brother for christmas next year. We have teased about that.

Poor old sweet neighbor who gave it to me is now deceased.

need pics!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times
Very funny replies... I'm enjoying reading the thread.

I'm picky, so I try not to judge others' living spaces, because I don't often see an interior I'd like to replicate. So much in one's home, decoratively speaking, is far too personal or sentimental for strangers to appreciate, at least in my experience.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but the only thing so far that makes me have to work hard to hold back a visible cringe is beige carpeting. I don't like w/w carpeting... it's a means to collect all that I don't want in my home. I like beige carpeting as much as appendicitis.

I so appreciate a well put together home, regardless of style, from rustic to French country to traditional. It's nice when someone does it well.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM

224 posts, read 946,840 times
I do not like the giant wall stickers (and metal signs, wooden letters, etc) that say Live... Laugh... Love... Not sure why they bother me so much, maybe because they come off as incredibly lazy design, but that can't be the only reason for my Pavlovian kneejerk hate reaction when I see them. Must be some deep psychological scar or something lurking there.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I did an oil painting of my grandmothers house, mostly from memory
since it was demolished many years ago. And there are no photos.
I did this for my mother who loves & is lonely for her mother.
I'm not a painter. But I must confess that I used Kincade as an example
when the sunlight falls on the grass & trees in the morning. I kept it
real. Meaning I did not add flowers or things .
I wanted my mom to see it as it was. I grew up in that home. I have a
keen memory.
Now my mother can enjoy it. I love that she likes it.
That was a nice thing to do.

What I am about to say, though, I truly mean in the most respectful way: You're no Thomas Kincaide.

And that's a good thing.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:13 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Here's the Thomas Kinkade subdivision: Vallejo's Thomas Kinkade community one of a kind - SFGate And, as covered by Salon: Ticky-tacky houses from “The Painter of Light™” - Salon.com

And here are some Thomas Kinkade novels! : Amazon.com: Thomas Kinkade's Cape Light Series

I wonder if there was a Thomas Kinkade Edition Lincoln Towncar...

Oh! And here's what killed 'Mr. Wholesome': http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_205743...erdose-alcohol

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-11-2014 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That was a nice thing to do.

What I am about to say, though, I truly mean in the most respectful way: You're no Thomas Kincaide.

And that's a good thing.
...hey you really surprised me there....for a moment...then

. I read the last line ....Thanks !

In my post regarding the painting...I was going to add at the end...
"Hope you are doing better"...but was thinking that it might be
deleted...but I hope not so here it is.
Take Care KathrynAragon !...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House