Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times

Advertisements

I'm really liking the idea of the regurgitating swans faucets. Not in brass though, perhaps a tasteful brushed nickel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm really liking the idea of the regurgitating swans faucets. Not in brass though, perhaps a tasteful brushed nickel?
Only if they have tasteful blue bows tied around their necks

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Pretty much the only thing that makes me cringe is dirt. Other stuff, I'm frequently glad that I don't have to live with their taste but I don't cringe.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Pretty much the only thing that makes me cringe is dirt. Other stuff, I'm frequently glad that I don't have to live with their taste but I don't cringe.
Oh I do - inwardly, but I freely admit to cringing. I sold real estate for many years and I know what makes other people cringe too - OUTWARDLY if the owners aren't home! LOL

That being said, I'm sure my house holds many cringe worthy items too - and I'm not ashamed of it. It's my house - my stuff - it if doesn't make me cringe, it really doesn't matter to me. Hopefully, other adults feel the same way.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Agreed, no one is making fun of anyone on this thread. I admit to having a "billy bass" in the house. Better yet, he has a santa hat on only appearing at Christmas time.
Sometimes I just keep old things around just because they remind me of a relative who is no longer with us. Just for the memories. tacky or not, I don't care. I'm keeping it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I can remember visiting some really rich people in one of their summer homes--we were just friends with their son and didn't really know them but we were driving around and thought we'd drop in. We had a foreign exchange student with us and he went to the bathroom.

He came back bent over, laughing. He told us the faucets were gold dolphins with water coming out of their mouths.

He had turned the faucet off and the "entire fish" came off in his hand. (I know dolphins are not fish...) He had to stay in the bathroom for an awfully long time, trying to stick the "fish" back on.

When the rest of us had to answer nature's call, we could barely contain ourselves thinking about "the entire fish" and hoping it would stay where it was supposed to.

These people were some of the few "old money" people I have even met but some of their taste was kind of tacky. Our foreign friend sure thought so.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Something else tacky--anything that covers a kleenix box. There are colorful pastel crocheted covers and there are pearlized hard plastic covers. Each has the essential slit on top for the kleenix to come out.

I think I had the plastic kind for a while.

Isn't there some sort of toilet paper roll cover that has a doll head and a big crocheted skirt? If you pick her up, there is a roll of spare toilet paper under the skirt.

Um, they're worth money. Wish I had one.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
What about those real taxidermy mice, baby alligators, or squirrels dressed in human clothes and propped up into poses like golfing, cooking, or smoking? Creep me out.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
OK, you wanna see tacky? Take a gander at these pictures...from my own den (now - in my defense, my entire HOUSE isn't filled with this crap - just the den!);

Please note - all in one 16 x 18 room:

1. Cardboard John Wayne
2. John Wayne poster
3. Dallas Cowboys autographed helmet
4. Cowboy art
5. Texas star
6. Water color paintings of lovely oil derricks
7. Ammo boxes
8. Gun safe
9. WW2 Allied occupation poster
10. WW2 photo of now dead relatives as flight instructors
11. Autographed WW2 photo of parachutes from a Band of Brothers dude
12. Oil painting of man on horseback
13. A large ceramic eagle
14. Model airplane
15. Veterans flag
16. "rustic" end tables with more Texas stars on them
17. More cowboy art
18. Framed print of Drew Brees
19. Sectional with enough leather to have cost the lives of at least six cows
20. Hindu temple rubbing
21. Lit beer signs
22. Luckenbach, TX sign
23. Texas Rangers and Texas Longhorn signs

I'm sure I've left out some choice items -oh, I did - I forgot to add the deer antler laying on top of the plexiglass box that the Dallas Cowboys helmet is in! Oh yes, and you can't see the pit passes from a NASCAR race (complete with ZZ Top concert) because they're hanging on the back of the door.

Now if that's not a testosterone-laden and pretty damn tacky room, I don't know what is!

Oh - and for a note of incongruity - note the "vintage" metal dinner trays - with legs that fold down - nestled beside the gun case. Yes, the ones with the flowers on them. My husband saw those at a garage sale and just had to have them. SO STRANGE.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-17-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Something else tacky--anything that covers a kleenix box. There are colorful pastel crocheted covers and there are pearlized hard plastic covers. Each has the essential slit on top for the kleenix to come out.

I think I had the plastic kind for a while.

Isn't there some sort of toilet paper roll cover that has a doll head and a big crocheted skirt? If you pick her up, there is a roll of spare toilet paper under the skirt.

Um, they're worth money. Wish I had one.
I admit my Kleenex boxes are covered. I find the boxes themselves to be tacky! My covers are metal or ceramic, though. None crocheted!

Maybe you can find one here:

http://www.pinterest.com/ldydora/cro...ue-box-covers/

http://www.pinterest.com/mamachef55/...tissue-covers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House