Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times

Advertisements

I love weird stuff and I love it when people have tons of weird stuff in their own homes. It's the mass produced "Home Interiors" kind of stuff that just makes me cry and cringe simultaneously. I would never cringe AT someone. But I might have to go into their restroom and cringe privately while tooting up a storm. (I like to hold my flatus in until I am a guest at someone's home. HA. I kid! I'm gross.)

You know those big metal butterflies that people attach to the outside of their homes? I do not care for those. They aren't cute or whimsical, in my opinion. They just look like the aftermath of a nuclear meltdown. The butterflies are now humongous and will eat your face off if you venture outside. Stay in the house! The butterflies have lit upon the domicile!

Gawd, I'm so extra weird lately. I don't know what's happened to me. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
For your viewing enjoyment, go the MOBA (Museum of Bad Art) website. It's a hoot.
That's great! I think my favorite is "Woman Riding Crustacean"

IN THE NOOD
NEXT »

WOMAN RIDING CRUSTACEAN
Anonymous
12" x 16", oil on canvas
Donated by Linda L. Carrubba
lcarrubba@wcrinet.org
May 18, 2008
Found in Greenwich Village in 1980's by Josh Einhorn
MOBA #448

Possibly inspired by Debra Winger riding a mechanical bull in Urban Cowboy (1980), this image of what appears to be a blow-up doll mounted atop a giant lobster looks unfinished. It may be a study for a larger, hopefully more erotically realized, work.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Many years ago my husband bought a toilet shaped ice bucket. He got it at a yard sale. It had an...um....unfortunate accident. Not sure what happened
I thought of you today as I picked up 2 good sized percelain elephants. I'm not sure if they are tacky or not
Like the "leg lamp" in A Christmas Story had an accident?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to see a lot of the Virgin Mary in an arch in people's yards. I think it was cast concrete. There was one common statue that some friends used to call "Mary on the Half Shell."
In my neighborhood (where everyone's grandma had one), they were called "Mary in a bathtub", because at least half of the statues were placed in front of old bathtubs half-buried in the ground.

Recycling at its finest.

One friend's mom built her own "half shell" out of river rocks and shells. It was kinda pretty, from what I remember.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Like the "leg lamp" in A Christmas Story had an accident?
With as much dignity as he could muster, my husband gathered up the sad remains of his shattered Toilet Bowl Ice Bucket. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently

Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Wow, wicker furniture and indoor rocking chairs are turn-offs?? Guess I'd score a double, with my natural-finished Heywood-Wakefield c.1912 rocker that was once my aunt's! Not to mention the two green-painted rockers which once sat on my grandmother's front porch, and the little handmade ladder-back rocker which an old man made for my father when he was a toddler.

Then there's Aunt Anna's rocking chair. She was my grandmother's aunt, and loaned the chair to my grandmother, but said she wanted it understood that it was just a loan, and she might want it back someday. She never asked for it back, but it's still Aunt Anna's Rocking Chair. The walnut, old gold-brocaded c.1860 rocker sat in my grandmother's parlor (yes, she had a parlor) for many years, and eventually became my parents'. Now it is mine, and the story goes with it to whoever gets Aunt Anna's Rocking Chair after me.

It currently sits in my rather Victorian living room, close to a sort of Shabby Chic/English Country looking floral-patterned upholstered chair, which blends nicely with the small-patterned, subdued blue-green geometric wallpaper that's been there for over 25 years.

When I visited the Ford Museum, aka Greenfield Village, a few years ago, I realized that except for the upholstery, Aunt Anna's Rocker is identical to the one in which Lincoln sat at Ford's Theater.

I counted once - I think I have about twelve rocking chairs of various kinds in various places in the house and on the porch. Almost all came down through my family, and aren't going to leave it, as long as I have anything to do with it.

A few heirloom antique dolls sit in some of my rockers, part of a vintage and antique toy collection. Guess that makes my house consistently tacky, by some measures (not mine - after all, I also have that Rock City collection).

Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
Yeah, the anti-antique and anti-rocking chair things seem a little picky. Maybe they were written by a cat?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Yeah, the anti-antique and anti-rocking chair things seem a little picky. Maybe they were written by a cat?
Actually, my cats have always been smart enough to avoid the chairs' rockers - instead, they enjoy curling up in the laps of the antique dolls that sit in the rocking chairs!

(Any comments on the tackiness of cat hair on upholstered furniture, as a decorative treatment?? I just call all my stuff fur-trimmed!)

Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
With as much dignity as he could muster, my husband gathered up the sad remains of his shattered Toilet Bowl Ice Bucket. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently
That's funny! Don't know if you watch Modern Family, but this also reminds me of Jay's "dog butler", Barkley, that Gloria made him get rid of.

3/14

5/14

Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've spent many happy hours in the South Pacific, Mexico and the American Southwest collecting native crafts. You will HATE the Maori war club that is displayed over the entry to my kitchen. You'd really hate the tapa cloth and the Fijian machete that's in the living room. Gotten in exchange for Polaroid photos of really cool Fijians with their children. Taken shortly before the men went off to sit around a fire on the beach and get stoned on kava kava as a gesture of international friendship.
Haha. Yeah, I should probably come up with an excuse not to visit your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House