Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM

9,489 posts, read 9,797,634 times

Advertisements

Thinking of tackling a roughly 1800sf walkout basement finishing myself. Not that I plan on doing all of the work (I will hire out some things such as drywalling).

There is a website called "I Finished my Basement". On the site are some good tips and also an e-book being offered for $37.00. Finish Your Basement

Just wondering if anyone has bought the book and if it is worth purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,900,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Thinking of tackling a roughly 1800sf walkout basement finishing myself.
Good luck with that.
Focus on dry and warm (trenches sumps and insulation).

Check with your Town/County about zoning and codes and all that.
You'll be amazed at how easily X and Y get triggered once you start to do Z.

As to the rest... that sounds very close to site spam.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,271,572 times
I guess it just depends on what you will be doing and what you are hiring out. Are you going to hire out plumbing and electrical and then do the framing yourself or what?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM

9,489 posts, read 9,797,634 times
Actually the basement will be framed and have some electrical when we move in (new house build, they don't do a complete finish). I will probably have to frame one wall so I can divide a large room into two, plus frame out a closet and pantry. (My mother in law will live down there).

I live in South Carolina, the climate is mostly mild of course. Since there are still a lot of lots available and new homes going up, I thought about seeing if I could hire a drywall crew (mostly Mexicans) to complete the drywall installation and mudding.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times
If they are still building in your neighborhood then approach the workers themselves. Most of the dry wall workers and painters are Mexican and many speak little English. They are sub-contractors so just ask to speak to the boss man. Have him quote you. El jefe.....el hef ee....boss man

I did that with several sub contractors in my neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,271,572 times
Sounds like all that will be left would be painting, installing fixtures and flooring. That's easy enough to do--except maybe carpet if you don't have a stretcher but if you do Allure tile or Pergo or other laminates that is a DIY job too.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 PM

17,469 posts, read 65,983,636 times
I think your "tackling" more than you can chew- since it would appear that this is something you've never done before.

Have a budget?
Have you inquired as to what you're "allowed" to do in a finished basement? When I hear "pantry"- that says kitchen. And a second kitchen could make the house "sound" or be construed as a multi-family structure. And the neighborhood is probably zoned single family "only".
Is the basement stubbed for bath? If not, are you ready to tackle tearing out concrete?
1800sq/ft will certainly require a separate HVAC unit- Thought about ductwork and where the furnace will be?
Electrical- an unfinished basement will have MAYBE one circuit- just some GFCI protected recepticles. That certainly isn't going to cut the mustard for 1800sq/ft.- especially with that kitchen(?) and HVAC. Sounds like a 300amp service might be needed.
Means of egress for a bedroom?

Then there's all the finish- walls,paint, flooring, lighting, cabinets, fixtures, yada, yada, yada.
And there's plenty more when you get finite.

You did remember the permit, right?

Good luck-

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM

3,040 posts, read 7,928,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Actually the basement will be framed and have some electrical when we move in (new house build, they don't do a complete finish). I will probably have to frame one wall so I can divide a large room into two, plus frame out a closet and pantry. (My mother in law will live down there).

I live in South Carolina, the climate is mostly mild of course. Since there are still a lot of lots available and new homes going up, I thought about seeing if I could hire a drywall crew (mostly Mexicans) to complete the drywall installation and mudding.
Most States require two exits for basement living.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,343,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Most States require two exits for basement living.

Agreed, but shouldn't be a concern for the OP, tis a walk-out basement, so he's good there.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,081,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Agreed, but shouldn't be a concern for the OP, tis a walk-out basement, so he's good there.
It might affect how he divides it up. It is usually required to have an exit directly from any bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House