U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 AM

49 posts, read 136,684 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the code is for insulating the outer walls of a house? We have a bonus room with 2 storage areas and the interior wall is insulated but the roof/outside isn't. Our bonus room is MUCH colder than the rest of the house and while it is over the garage,we don't think it should be this cold. Oh and when it was scorching hot this summer it was very hot. Turns out they had "forgotten" to insulate the ceiling (this is a new house) so the builder sent back the insulation guys and they blew in insulation in the ceiling.
I tried to look up the building codes on-line and it was impossible to figure out once you got to the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 AM

578 posts, read 2,693,136 times
Consider the floor, roof, and any outside walls are exposed to the elements. In my bonus room only one of the 4 walls even adjoins another heated space. Even with two HVAC vents it's still noticeably colder than the rest of the house.

Also, I'd be concerned about the builder just blowing insulation into the ceiling. Assuming you're talking about a vaulted (sloped) ceiling there should be baffles installed against the roof decking to ensure air ventilation flow. Otherwise, just filling the entire space with insulation will block ventilation over that portion and potentially cause problems down the line.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM

238 posts, read 1,108,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumded View Post
Does anyone know what the code is for insulating the outer walls of a house? We have a bonus room with 2 storage areas and the interior wall is insulated but the roof/outside isn't. Our bonus room is MUCH colder than the rest of the house and while it is over the garage,we don't think it should be this cold. Oh and when it was scorching hot this summer it was very hot. Turns out they had "forgotten" to insulate the ceiling (this is a new house) so the builder sent back the insulation guys and they blew in insulation in the ceiling.
I tried to look up the building codes on-line and it was impossible to figure out once you got to the site.
I found this site when I was researching insulation info..you can plug in your state & get specifics to climate, etc...
Lower your energy usage - Simply Insulate
Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 PM

4,285 posts, read 13,642,476 times
Quote:
Also, I'd be concerned about the builder just blowing insulation into the ceiling. Assuming you're talking about a vaulted (sloped) ceiling there should be baffles installed against the roof decking to ensure air ventilation flow. Otherwise, just filling the entire space with insulation will block ventilation over that portion and potentially cause problems down the line.

Very good point. Just thought I'd re-emphasize it.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 8,902,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Consider the floor, roof, and any outside walls are exposed to the elements. In my bonus room only one of the 4 walls even adjoins another heated space. Even with two HVAC vents it's still noticeably colder than the rest of the house.

agree as well. The codes are going to be a little different in each area, In the homes we design, I usually do a call out for a minimum of R-38 in ceiling areas. I believe it has an installed height of 10.5", you can call your local building department, and ask the question you stated here. They should be able to tell you what they require in new builds. When a county / city adopt a code, they may make little changes here and there to fit the area in which permits are issued.

Good luck, and have that builder come back, remove the insulation, add the baffles and do the insulation correctly. What also may happen, you will get the blown in insulation settling down slope (in a vaulted room) and blocking the fascia vents. Which means very poor ventilation, which will lead to increased heat during summer months.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM

27,862 posts, read 31,485,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post

Yup agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House