Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

^Great post! Can't rep you again for awhile, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Imagine this new house with the shrubbery and flowering tree from the old house...wow, what a difference!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
I don't speak "Decor" nor "Architecturese" so I can't address the issue over aesthetics. If the building functions, keeps the rain off me and my stuff, and doesn't catch on fire, I'm satisfied.

I would be happy with a man-cave, a nice computer den with all the trimmings, and a home theater with a 96" screen, a 1080p video projector and 5.1 audio. Oh, wait. I have all that. I can't "hate" my home. Phew.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've had my share of latex paint disasters too.

The last one is when a tenant thought they would add some color to the kitchen, baths and laundry rooms which were finished in $40 a gallon Sherwin Williams Oil Base Paint... similar to the old automotive finishes... they always wash up nice.

So they paint everything with bargain Latex kind of a red/sand color and a few weeks later they call saying there is a paint problem... well yeah!... all the paint is peeling and checking from bathroom moisture... they did not get one penny of their deposit and I billed them the labor to restore...

For some reason... just about everyone thinks they can paint!

As for the house... you traded charm for utility... each has it's place and you were doing what's best for the family...

Maybe adding some landscaping, etc... over time?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've had my share of latex paint disasters too.

The last one is when a tenant thought they would add some color to the kitchen, baths and laundry rooms which were finished in $40 a gallon Sherwin Williams Oil Base Paint... similar to the old automotive finishes... they always wash up nice.

So they paint everything with bargain Latex kind of a red/sand color and a few weeks later they call saying there is a paint problem... well yeah!... all the paint is peeling and checking from bathroom moisture... they did not get one penny of their deposit and I billed them the labor to restore...

For some reason... just about everyone thinks they can paint!

As for the house... you traded charm for utility... each has it's place and you were doing what's best for the family...

Maybe adding some landscaping, etc... over time?
As most here, I think your first house looked great and I'm less enamored with your current digs.

The only "concern" about your 2nd house that is not somewhat fixable is you said it was on a major road. Everything else can be somewhat face-lifted.

depending on the budget, I'd either start with the best or worst area in the house. Paint cures a lot, and so does molding. If you don't have the budget to do any big items, you can use molding and paint to really dress up areas. Go to a real lumber yard or a molding place to get nicer stuff than home depot. Wider base and wide crown can look great, and if you use paint grade stuff its not that pricy, MDF for the crown and poplar for the base.

I generally would hold off on doing major stuff to the outside until I've replaced the windows and am sure nothing else is moving. If that is going to take time, paint can be done, but I haven't done a whole outside of a house before, I'm sure its more than a minor undertaking to prep and paint.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Awwww. Yeah that first house had bones and curb appeal so it has the advantage over the poor little second house.

You asked how to make yourself love the second one.

Maybe take pity on it. It needed you!

Once upon a time that house was someone's dream house and it was loved.

Maybe focus on the green. You said it was a financially smart move. So for now, that's a HUGE plus.

Three months is nothing. It's spring. Focus on the yard and activities out there.

As your family creates new memories the cosmetics urgency will be irrelevant. Having a good yard and a bedroom for each kid is HUGE. Time passes fast and you can always move again when you find the "dream" house.

Also, since they LOVE the house, make the kids help you and make it fun. More memories and they'll learn things and become invested in the little house, too. They can start by taking those trashcans and stuff out back LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-21-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You asked how to make yourself love the second one.

Maybe take pity on it. It needed you!

Once upon a time that house was someone's dream house and it was loved.
Love this. Reading this thread I keep remembering Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree:

"I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."

Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 PM

28 posts, read 49,453 times
Hoping just being able to vent helps. Your new house looks like a box, but............given your eye for architecture styling, take the challenge and make it into what you like. Trust me,(as DH and I have renovated several houses) starting with a plain Jane is better than starting with a dolled up mess. Also remember, being with wife and kids is the most important thing. You don't have the same house, but you still have them. Best to you on your journey and make it the house you want it to be, then it becomes "home."

Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM

166 posts, read 241,026 times
Sounds like you moved against your own will and even if the house you moved to was perfect you would find something wrong with it. You should have made sure your wife knew your hidden feelings.

We sold our home in Va. and boght a new one in Daytona Beach and the only thing that concerns me is the fact we had 3000 sq feet and we only have 2000 sq feet. I was all for the sale and move so I am content.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Breathe deep.

The facades of the two houses aren't that dissimilar when you think about it.

Each is a box with a gable front. Just one gable is larger than the other and is built out as a porch.

There are lots of things you can do.

Get yourself some graph paper and start drawing while waiting for spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House