Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:46 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been considering getting some windows installed in my home in order to add some natural light. I am not talking about replacement windows. I was wondering if anybody here has done this and if so, could you share the cost? (post copied from NC board due to lack of responses in that forum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I have been considering getting some windows installed in my home
Is the wall framed with siding or brick?

Quote:
I am not talking about replacement windows.
I was wondering if anybody here has done this...
Just last week... I added a small window for the basement through brick & block.
And I plan to add another similar one in a month or two.

Quote:
...and if so, could you share the cost?
The window was about $60; the window well about $30; the hired masonry work $250;
Digging the hole, making the "buck" and setting the window was all on me.

A fun time was had by all.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you added windows to your home?-img_0401-copy.jpg   Have you added windows to your home?-img_0402-copy.jpg   Have you added windows to your home?-cellarwindowready.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 03-28-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
For a typical 2/4X4/6 window in a framed wall- $500min. To about $1300 if brick is involved.

The bigger the window, the bigger the ticket!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,842 times
/

Last edited by skiffrace; 03-28-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Thanks for sharing your experience and costs. I live in a typical cookie cutter neighborhood of vinyl homes. My daughter has one window in her room so it is dark. Our home is vinyl. I was also thinking of adding a small decorative window on the south end of our living room as our windows only face west in that room. While I would love for them to be functional ie. open, something small and round/square would be great too. Finally, I was thinking of adding some glass block in the kitchen between the cabinets and countertops where it is also dark. Really just dreaming at this point but was trying to see if it is even worth dreaming about! The costs don't sound too outrageous. Thanks again! Any other input would be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
We added two windows in our east-facing family room. Each window flanks the north-facing fireplace. It brought in a lot more light and we're very satisfied with our decision (wish the room faced south so we could actually have the sun shining in those windows but they're better than no windows at all).

Vinyl house and the two windows plus construction was around $3,000. Pricey but worth it.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
While I would love for them to be functional...
I was thinking of adding some glass block...
The costs don't sound too outrageous.
Any other input would be appreciated.
Opening up the wall (inside and out) and adjusting the framing to support the wall above and
to be the right size for a window and then repairing the siding/trim and repairing the drywall will
be **almost exactly** the same mess and cost regardless of how large or what type or quality
of window you might choose to install into that opening.

NONE of that work is especially complicated or difficult to do for an experienced carpenter.

Installing a New Window in an Old House - YouTube

Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 55,453 times
Installing windows is not terribly difficult, but if you don't have the experience yourself and you are not willing to give it a go, you'll be left to the mercy of a contractor. Basically all that has to be done is the wall opened up and framed for a window. We are basically talking about using a circular and/or sawzall. Then they frame up the window. Pop the window in place and secure it. Modify the outside siding to accommodate it and seal everything up properly(the hardest and most important step IMO). Then they put some trim on the inside and that is about it. Whether you were doing a picture window, or a vented or hung window, the cost of the window will not make a huge difference in the cost of this project. Generally the size of the window won't be a large factor either unless you want a very large window.

Get yourself 3 bids from either reputable companies or preferably from personal references if you can get them. There have been times where I've taken the 1st bid because it seemed reasonable to me only to find out later that I could have saved money. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals or pictures of previous work.

As far as the the under-counter stuff, I would not recommend glass bricks. Besides just being expensive for a little extra light, they don't work when it's not light outside. I.E. 6pm in the winter when you are trying to use the counters in the kitchen and you will still have low light problem. Under cabinet or similar lighting can be had for a reasonable price and IMO looks great.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendayle View Post
Installing windows is not terribly difficult, but if you don't have the experience yourself and you are not willing to give it a go, you'll be left to the mercy of a contractor. Basically all that has to be done is the wall opened up and framed for a window. We are basically talking about using a circular and/or sawzall. Then they frame up the window. Pop the window in place and secure it. Modify the outside siding to accommodate it and seal everything up properly(the hardest and most important step IMO). Then they put some trim on the inside and that is about it. Whether you were doing a picture window, or a vented or hung window, the cost of the window will not make a huge difference in the cost of this project. Generally the size of the window won't be a large factor either unless you want a very large window.

Get yourself 3 bids from either reputable companies or preferably from personal references if you can get them. There have been times where I've taken the 1st bid because it seemed reasonable to me only to find out later that I could have saved money. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals or pictures of previous work.

As far as the the under-counter stuff, I would not recommend glass bricks. Besides just being expensive for a little extra light, they don't work when it's not light outside. I.E. 6pm in the winter when you are trying to use the counters in the kitchen and you will still have low light problem. Under cabinet or similar lighting can be had for a reasonable price and IMO looks great.
Don't forget about repairing the drywall on the inside as you will need to cut it back far enough to accommodate necessary headers. Your simple instructions also did not mention anything about making sure the window was plumb and level, etc. If you don't take care of all the things required, it is going to irrelevant whether or not everything is sealed up properly.

Installing a window is not overly complicated if you understand what you are doing, but it is definitely NOT as simple as your description made it out to be.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:01 PM

26 posts, read 55,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Don't forget about repairing the drywall on the inside as you will need to cut it back far enough to accommodate necessary headers. Your simple instructions also did not mention anything about making sure the window was plumb and level, etc. If you don't take care of all the things required, it is going to irrelevant whether or not everything is sealed up properly.

Installing a window is not overly complicated if you understand what you are doing, but it is definitely NOT as simple as your description made it out to be.

Yeah, that was not intended to be a step by step "how-to". But more to give an overview of what the process is. If you can frame in a window or a door, you should be competent enough to make sure it's square and plumb. I haven't installed a ton of windows. Maybe 50 or 60, but it isn't that difficult to get the square and plumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House